Edged with Care

—Your POV—

Oh shit... how the tables have turned. 

Immediately Edge spot your familiar figure, and instead of grotesquely sharpening like you expected, his features soften, and his face comes close to what you interpret as... a genuine smile...? You stared at him in disbelief, his usual working suit and attire stripped away, revealing a calm white undershirt and slick black slacks, held in place by a glossy brown belt. 

"Hello human, I see you are awake early." He even spoke kindly to you, coming into the kitchen and opening a compartment you somehow missed, pulling out some fresh bread. He then moved past you to the fridge, and slid out some butter and a knife. 

Why he kept a knife in the fridge, you didn't dare question, your mind preoccupied with trying to decipher his change in mood, towards your presence specifically. It seemed like the Edge who barked at you for being near his red door was long gone, a distant memory piled over by the ideas of what this other Edge was willing to achieve with you. 

"Would you like some bread? Breakfast is the most significant meal of the day." Edge offered, not dropping his fancy language, but at least giving a reasonable explanation. Speechless, you nodded, offering a generous smile as you plopped gently down in the chair across the table from him. 

You considered prying, half of you telling you to stop being a nosy asshat, while the other side told you that knowledge was power, and knowing why Edge was being so nice couldn't possibly result in anything less than fruitful, since he was clearly in a forgiving mood. 

"Ummm... why are you being so kind to me?"

That's when it betrayed you, it slipped out of your throat with no real consent from you, who was too busy dealing with their mental dilemma. You partially expected Edge to snap at you, you gaze dropping to the floor as you awaited the brisk tone of scolding or maybe even a bony hand to fly across your face. 

When nothing happened, you looked up at Edge, who was smiling solemnly down at the table, chuckling lowly. "To be honest, I am just as clueless as you human." (Author magic  🪄🪄) Edge gave a small and apologetic smile, reminding you of Crooks' humility shortly. You smiled back, your face a ray of positivity and acceptance to his sudden change of demeanor. 

"Thank you human. Here is you food as promised." Edge said, handing you the bread with a light layer of butter spread across, and you two exchanged 'thank yous' and 'you're welcomes'. You sat back in your chair now, ready to dig into the food before you with contentment. 

It tasted good, and though you were never a fan of bread and butter, you found a way to appreciate the sentiment. The bread was soft and fluffy, making easy for you teeth to slide right  through it. The butter was creamy and thinly spread, making it just right for your tastebuds, the smoothness and low sodium of the butter along with the bread's magnificent flavor and great texture providing a delicious experience. (👍✨✨)

You took up your dishes, being a small saucer and a glass that was probably supposed to be filled with water. "Thanks again Edge, I'll go and find something constructive to do..." You chirped, a hint of sadness in your tone, as you were the smallest bit upset you had to leave so soon. 

"If you would be so kind as to accompany me to the front room, I would be greatly delighted." Edge requested, confusing confusing you a little more, but you agreed to follow him nonetheless. The two of you went up front, where the dejected couch you only take note of now sat, looking much more comfortable than that bed of betrayal. 

Edge sat down, and subtly gestured to the spot next to him for you to sit, part of your mind wondering where Edge slept. You sat down keeping maybe a foot or two between you and him on the couch, not feeling completely comfortable with him, but he didn't seem to notice or care, which was fine with you.

All was quiet for a long moment, time quietly passing as the both of you sat in silence, momentarily enjoying the lack of noise. "So... why is it that you have awakened so early?" Edge queries, an innocent tilt of the head encouraging you not to think too long about your answer. 

"Hmm... I fell out my bed..." You muttered, feeling a bit of redness float up to your cheeks, but it disappeared in a matter of moments. "Ah, I see." Edge snorted, and you shot him a playful glare. "I awoke because I commanded my body not to let me sleep past a certain time." Edge explained, sending you a wink though thought you'd never receive, grief bubbling up in your chest as you imagined Horror's knack for painlessly winking whenever things got even a little troublesome. 

Retracting some of your focus from Edge, you sculpted out the image of Horror in your mind, the permanently confident aura he possessed, not in a cocky way like Reaper's smile, but in a more understanding kind of way that he knew he was powerful enough to stand on his own... for the most part, 

It hurt to think that his confidence might've dissolved a bit thanks to you. What if you showed up and he didn't want to face you? What if you arrived and he was angry with you? What if when you found him, he'd already been at a loss for any hope of a escape and doesn't take you word? It made you feel deeply unsettled, and in a way, hopeless. 

Maybe you didn't take Horror seriously enough, maybe your relationship with him was more of a treasure than you ever gave credit, and perhaps you should have been more open to him, rather then ignoring him, or doing you best to avoid him...

If you recall correctly, there was even a point where Horror just... backed off essentially, he stopped trying to interact at all, and thinking back on it, it must've hurt him too. You didn't notice Edge intently watching you body language of distress while you were slightly hunched over in thought, but maybe he was thinking too, and just maybe... 

He'd be kind enough to lend a hand?

~~~~~~~~~~

Peep Peep, I'm in a goodie goodie mood today, school's out until like Tuesday because of some shit I forgot the reason for, but hey! I'm good, so yea. Anyways, it's probably safe to assume I'll switch to updating every other day, since like, I'll spend 20 minutes writing before someone shows up to rip me away from a screen until curfew, and then I come back the next day all pissed because I don't know what the hell I was writing, and I'm totally out of synch. 

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed!!

- De Moogus 

(P.S, for all who care, hope you appreciated this wholesomeness, it took me like, an hour and a half because I had to keep editing small pieces. Thanks for reading anyway though.)