Step by Step

—Your POV—

You couldn't contain your excitement. Here you stood in line again, hungry and a little tired but there was coffee in the lobby and you considered dropping out of line to get some. You were behind four people, 1 of them being human while the rest were some fascinating monster type you didn't care to look into. 

With a sigh of defeat, over by the seemingly new coffee machines was you, questioning how you didn't see them earlier and if the coffee was actually any good. It was sort of a gamble, (shit haven't typed that for a while either...) your hands were almost shaking as you concluded that you were totally overthinking this, laughing it off and earning some confused stares from the surrounding people.

The coffee maker was older, another odd French Press like in Nightmare's mansion. You used it nonetheless, filling it with the grinds and letting it steep, waiting for a few minutes before you poured the black coffee into one of the reusable mugs, sliding over to the part of the counter with all the additives so you wouldn't be forced to drink the substance bitter, though, this was a bit of a stretch on your drinking habits anyway, since you didn't exactly care for the popular sustenance. 

After customizing it to your liking, you lightly leaned on the counter and nursed the coffee, glancing around in hopes of spotting any familiar faces. You did see those two bickering skeletons by their post again, but they weren't actually arguing this time. Instead, they were faced away from each other, disgruntled scowls on either face, both of them too focused on whatever they were looking at to notice your innocent gaze. 

You did spot another monster you'd seen before though, that same cat monster who was in Core's lobby. He looked upset still, on the other side of the room fancying his own coffee. You spied the other coffee makers behind him, looking a little more modern than the ones you were by, but you brushed it off without a second thought. 

You finished your coffee, and tossed the mug into the recycling bin, never to be seen again. 

With a little spring in your step, you hopped back into the line, already feeling the effects of the coffee benefitting your body in terms of positivity. The line had accumulated a couple more people since you'd stepped out, but that wasn't match of a concern when you looked past them to see that same cranky old skeleton at the counter. 

You gave a quiet little snort, alerting the person in front of you but they paid you no heed, let alone made a comment on the rude noise that came from you. It was a peaceful wait for the most part, the hushed chatters of people around you, all discussing whatever amongst themselves while you impatiently bounced up and down, waiting for the line to diminish. 

By the time you cared again, you were behind two people, separate parties you assumed, despite the last time you were behind a pair of people. It took great patience for you not to scoff or huff at the length of time that it took for the previous people to request seeing whoever they were here for, you heard more angry mutters than actual conversation for the most part, and your nosy side nearly made you butt into the obviously heated discussion, but restraint overpowered that childishness and you continued to wait your turn. 

"You, again. Who'll it be this time?" 

The gruff and agitated voice of the ungrateful skeleton broke you out of your trance, your wide and unprepared eyes meeting his narrowed and disgusted ones, and his face softened in the slightest. "Well? Don't hold up the line unless you want to be trampled." He hissed, gloved hands fidgeting with one of the many papers on his desk, and you opened your mouth to speak, but the words that were supposed to come out were delayed. 

"U-Umm, same as l-last time, Mr. Mafia Fell...!" It sounded like a question and came out all too quickly to be normal. He sighed, punched something in on his device, and then spun on his heel to grab something behind the counter. He handed you a slip of paper, reading the same bold '69' as your first visit, and you offered a sheepish smile before proceeding to the large door he pointed towards.

Once inside, you let your thoughts run rampant. 'Why didn't he make me do more paperwork', was among the most prevalent, but your mind quickly washed that out with the overly excited thoughts of knowing Horror's whereabouts, and most importantly returning him before Nightmare could have the chance to sink any of those horrible tentacles into your midsection, the memories and lingering pain making you shudder as you sped walked down to the door, flying past tens and twenties and thirties with completely adrenaline fueled movements.

By the time you made it to door 41, you made a mental note that dress shoes were not good for running or even partially sprinting, and took a moment to catch your breath before you continued moving so quickly. 

You decided on the playful skipping instead, your giggles echoing throughout the halls as you flew past the dimly lit lights, the world more or less going uncared for as you let the looseness and carefree behaviors of the coffee overtake you. Before you knew it, you were in front of the tall door labeled 69, taking deep breaths to calm your nerves and appear more formal. 

It was going to go as planned or else. 

~~~~~~~~~~

*panting* Yeha... sorry for the updateless days I made you all suffer through, I really did try to complete this yesterday, but I got writer's laziness and started watching YouTube videos instead of finding study music, not to mention my family's sudden influx in Game Pigeoning me. Paintball and Tanks are really suspenseful for me, but then I got some random shit from my 5th period teacher telling me to submit something or it'd be marked late. Yesterday was a roller coster, so I'm sorry for neglecting this... 

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed!!

- De Moogus