More resolve

{вспышка назад}

"Hey Crooks, why are skeletons so relaxed?" Horror queried to no Crooks in particular, legs propped up on the wall with the cloak lazily taped up on it. He was bored beyond comprehension, so convert boredom into useless puns. 

"Brother, we are not going to play this game." Crooks grumbled back hunched over on the bed playing with something Horror couldn't see from his position on the floor. 

"Aww c'mon." Horror groaned, absentmindedly picking at his empty eye socket. "Play the game for me." 

Crooks huffed, defeated. He wouldn't keep being a killjoy if Horror really didn't want him to, and right now, he was just as bored as his brother. 

"I do not know." Crooks sighed, flopping out on his back as Horror snickered. "Why are skeletons so relaxed?"

"Because nothing gets under their skin!" Horror blurted, laughing like a loon at a joke he'd heard a million times. Crooks just rolled his eyes, holding back a giggle to keep up his uncaring façade. 

"Hey Crooks," Horror started, cutting himself off with an untimely snort. "What's a skeleton's favorite instrument?" 

Crooks whined in fake frustration. He knew where this was going, and he secretly liked that. 

"One more joke." Crooks declared, pretending to sound irritated. "What's a skeleton's favorite instrument?" 

Horror giggled uncontrollably, causing Crooks to roll his eyes as he pull the blanket sideways over his face. No way this joke was going to be anything good. 

"Well, tibia honest, there's a skeleton of em'" Horror said, barely holding himself together as Crooks shot upwards. No way he was going for a triple pun. "But it's gotta be the trombone!"

Horror laughed goofily while Crooks murmured about how bad that was. Seriously? The skeleton puns must've never gotten old. 

"That was horrible." Crooks muttered, no truth in the sentence as Horror only barked more laughs. It was nice to his brother smile like that, it truly was, but why over something so... ludicrous... 

"C'mon bro," Horror mused on, stretching from his position on the wall with a rattle of tired bones. "I've got more that'll totally tickle your funny bone." 

"Funny bones don't exist." Crooks argued, shooting a fake glare at Horror from atop his bed. "And you promised no more jokes." 

"Well if funny bones aren't your speed..." Horror continued, ignoring Crooks last comment in favor of shooting him a devious look. "Perhaps a rib tickler is more your style?"

"That's it." Crook sighed, hopping off the bed and walking around to Horror. "I'll show you a rib tickler!" 

Without warning, Crooks pounced on Horror furiously taking out his pent up rage on his older brother in the form of serious tickling. Horror had no time to react, and instead endured by flailing about beneath his younger brother, laughing and squirming about. 

"Alright guys it's— what the..." 

Ruining the moment was Farm, innocently flouncing in with a spring in his step before his gaze inevitably landing on whatever was going on by the wall where Horror had been attacked. 

"Nothing." Horror snapped, gently moving Crooks off of him before he flipped into a proper sitting position, resting his back against the wall as he took a breath. 

"Ok... well uh follow me, today is a special day." Farm chirped, winking at Horror who resisted an eye roll. Fake birthdays were really something special huh. 

Following Farm to the front room to discuss the plans for the day. So far, the day had been nice. Horror hoped farm wouldn't ruin that for him. 

"Alright so let's set one thing straight ok?" Farm said, flopping down on the couch as Horror and Crooks stood idly in front of him. "You guys are good additions to Font Farm." 

Good additions to the farm.

The words rang in Horror's skull as his gaze dropped to the floor. Good additions to a Farm they weren't supposed to be on, under the ownership of someone they were never supposed to actually meet. 

It stung a bit. Horror had considered changing his plans about escaping, but he'd have to leave sometime. He couldn't survive here. It wasn't a matter of pickiness, it was a matter of fact. 

"Even though one more so than the other..." Farm added quietly, glancing At Horror in an attempt to tick him off, to no avail. "But that's ok. We have jobs for both of you."

Horror bit back a growl. Not in a late response to Farm's comment, but simply to be polite. Farm wouldn't just tell them what he wanted already, and that was very much so getting on his nerves. 

"Crooks, my brother is going to visit a fellow farmer kapeesh?" Farm explained, and Horror nearly missed the way Crooks perked up in the slightest. The little fella had an idea. "We're expecting good behavior. Don't do or say anything you wouldn't do or say to an angry spider." 

Wow, no threat. Horror mentally commended the display of trust, but he didn't quite like where this was going. Crooks would probably think up something smart and try it out, but Horror has no idea how beneficial that'd be for anyone. Crooks wanted to escape just as bad as Horror. If he saw an opening he would most definitely take it. 

"As for you, Horsie," Farm continued, switching his attention to Horror as a smug smirk grew upon his face. "We'll finish what we started the other day." 

Horror nodded solemnly as Crooks glanced around in slight confusion. He didn't know about what went down in the shed, and frankly, Horror preferred it stays that way. 

Today was not going to be a good day. Crooks was going to be in the middle of nowhere, and Horror was going to be at the house with the more haughty of the hayseed brothers. 

Ickiness brewed in Horror's metaphorical stomach as he almost regretted his breakfast, watching Crooks get taken away to get dolled up. He guessed that they didn't want him to look like a homeless runt if he was going to visit one of their flippant farmer friends. That would raise suspicions. 

For a moment or two, Horror just stood there mulling over possibilities and probabilities. He didn't want to watch Crooks leave, but it was kind of inevitable. Any attempts at trying to get Farm to change his mind would probably result in anything unpleasant. Horror was not up for dissatisfaction. 

"Bye bye little bro. Be good." Horror dismissed, tone hollow as he waved sadly, watching his baby bones of a brother climb into the car and cast an unsure glance back at Horror. 

He tried to smile. He really did. But it wouldn't spread across his face like it should've. No amount of corny jokes or rib tickling could make him feel any better at this point. He feel like a statue as the car containing his own brother pulled out of the driveway and drove to the very edge of Font Farm's estate. 

Just before it disappeared over the horizon. 

~~~~~~~~~~

;-; ngl tho I felt bad writing this kinda. Also 'hayseed' lol—

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed!

- De Moogus