Plan B

{Flash of Backington}

"Look at what I made." Farm announced, sliding bowls across the table as the four skeletons settled down for dinner. "Bone appétit." 

Horror threw a sharp glare in his direction. All Farm did was boss him around! Horror did like 90 percent of the work! 

That's why he had to escape— probably later on tonight actually. He missed yesterday, but it was never too late to reschedule. He'd just have to remind Crooks and be extra careful. 

The idea brewed in his skull while he ate, shoveling spoonfuls of potato and beef into his mouth at an almost solemn speed. He was too deep in his thoughts to even notice the heavy eyes on him. 

"Bro," Crooks whispered to Horror, lightly kicking him under the table. "They're staring..."

Horror immediately flicked up his gaze, meeting Farm's as he stared across the table. It was just a silent stare off for a moment, Green quietly flicking his eyes between the two. 

"The hell do you want?" Horror finally snapped, hissing bitterly as he noticed the food in his bowl miraculously missing.

"Nothing nothing..." Farm sighed, excusing himself from the table and pacing to the sink where Horror's eyes couldn't track him. "Just zoning out. Guess I got tired." 

"Sounds like bullsh—" Horror started, seeing Crooks innocently listening before replacing the word with something a touch more appropriate. "Garbage."

Farm laughed but it was dry. He slunk back to his room and Horror couldn't help but wonder what the problem was. Did he do something wrong? He wasn't like this until Crooks and Green came back, maybe they'd done something. 

"You two are on dish duty." Green declared, leaving the table and placing his dishes in the sink as Horror bit back a growl of complaint. "After that, you will sleep."

Crooks and Horror looked at each other. Green left without another word. Silence filled the room before Horror broke it with an exasperated groan. 

"Can't catch a break around here!" He whisper yelled, harshly hopping out of his seat and dropping his dishes into the sink with a sharp clink. Crooks quietly observed, copying the motion in a much more gentle manner. 

"I'll wash you dry." Horror stated, leaving no room for argument as he slammed a stool down on the floor for Crooks to stand on. He got one for himself too, but he didn't need it as much as Crooks did. "Sound good enough?" 

"Of course." Crooks replied, not willing to further annoy his older brother. He rolled up his fancy sleeves to avoid them being wet by the water Horror roughly turned on with a flick of a handle. 

Full heat. No cold to balance. All in all, there weren't too many dishes in the sink. Bowls, plates, spoons, forks, and the occasional cup or mug. The dishes hadn't been done in maybe two or three days, so they'd piled up considerably. 

Once the sink was full of water, and additionally, soap and dishes, Horror started washing them rather forcibly. Crooks made no comment, honestly sharing the simmering rage. There was no need for words. They'd already been said. 

Horror would finish a dish, drop it in the sink, and Crooks would promptly rinse and dry it. It was a simple, mechanical process. No communication required, because of the mutual understanding that dish washing was a simple job.

Together, they washed for maybe an hour, putting the dishes away afterwards and cleaning the stove for brownie points. After all was said and done, Horror put the stools away and turned off the lights, sauntering back to his room with its cold hardwood floor. 

Said floor was the one he collapsed on as Crooks climbed into his bed, lying flat on his back. Horror huffed in exhaustion, really not feeling like escaping, but it was necessary for his survival at this point. Whatever deteriorated bits of sanity he had left depended on it. 

"Hey Crooks." He whispered, pulling himself up onto the side of the bed as Crooks peered over, his eyes glazed over with his natural innocence. "What do you say we get up and leave tonight?" 

Crooks blinked before Horror's words registered, bolting upright as his eyes went wide with realization. 

"We never did do that last night, did we?!" He said matter of factly. Horror shushed him frantically, head whipping around as if Farm would randomly step out of a wall and exploit their plan. 

"Course not!" Horror muttered, easing Crooks back onto the bed while he sunk back to the floor. "I'll come to the window and get you. It's like around 8 or 9 o' clock now." 

Horror laid out on the floor like a starfish, closing his eyes as if when he opened them, he'd be back on the streets where he belonged. He released a deep breath, ignoring the worry ebbing away at his mind. If he lost his bravery he wouldn't be able to do anything.

"Just don't fall asleep too deeply alright?" Horror murmured, scratching his cheekbone. "Stay awake if you have to. I'll probably come get you around 3 or 4 o' clock." 

With a small noise of affirmation from Crooks, Horror allowed himself to settle even if only in the slightest. For now, he either rests or doesn't. He wasn't too terribly tired, and escaping meant he would have to run for probably a long time, which wasn't very practical if he were tired. 

He should probably get at least a small amount of rest. Before dawn broke across the horizon, he would be long gone. 

He would make sure of that. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Here's SPRING BREAK! and with it comes (+1 dreadful inspiration) (+1 dreadful inspiration)(+1 dreadful inspiration)(+1 dreadful inspiration)(+1 dreadful inspiration)(+1 dreadful inspiration)(+1 dreadful inspiration)(+1 dreadful inspiration)(+1 dreadful inspiration)(+1 dreadful inspiration)(+1 dreadful inspiration)(+1 dreadful inspiration)(+1 dreadful inspiration)(+1 dreadful inspiration)

I feel like I'm being spammed by deals. By like, Spamton. 

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed!

- De Moogus 

(Ps watched Napoleon Dynamite the other day. What a movie.)