Resolve

{Rückblende} (the new trend is to put it in a different language! :D)

Horror slept unceremoniously sprawled across the floor. Limbs thrown awry with whatever buzzing energy he had last night. He didn't dream when he slept, only snored. 

Crooks sat atop his bed, wide awake at the unholy hour. They'd missed the deadline for escaping. Horror would not be pleased with this in the morning. 

The little skeleton's mind churned heavily, possessing too much for one baby bones to handle. He didn't know what to do. Should he wake up Horror and attempt to forge a new plan? Should he stay put and go back to sleep? Should he wander the halls or get a glass of water? 

Crooks knew he wasn't going to be on the farm forever. That was crazy, unethical, heck it was probably illegal. If he had access to any means of connection to the outside world, even just a simple dial up phone, he could contact the government and get them to investigate Font Farm.

But at the same time... that'd be stupid. He and Horror were technically fugitives themselves, so it was either the confines Font Farm or the confines of iron bars. 

Crooks shivered at the thought as the cool night air circulated in the room. He'd left the window open in anticipation of Horror's escape plan coming to fruition, but it never did, so now it was simply left that way. 

Horror shuddered too, murmuring in his sleep. The soft rattle of his bones eased Crooks' worry. He was not alone. 

Tentatively, Crooks leaned over to the window and used his weight to push it shut, quiet clunk sounding as he locked it up completely. 

Looking out the window, Crooks saw the stars dancing along in the night sky. Winking and twinkling and sparking in all their brightened freedom, nearly bragging at Crooks' contained setting. 

The Moon glowed modestly, offering it's celestial hope for Crooks far from ideal situation. Its moonlight flooded at the room and enveloped Crooks' bed in its soft and delightful glory. He had nothing to fear. 

Laying back down in his bed, Crooks' racing mind finally slowed to a manageable pace. He should focus on the happenings of the moment. Not the fantasies that may or may not reveal themselves. 

Silently, he sighed, the rest of his energy dissipating as he nuzzled further into his sheets. Tomorrow a new day would arise with its own concerns. He couldn't let his mind get the best of him. 

For now he would rest.

—Time Skip—

"Wake up boneheads! These dishes aren't going to eat themselves!" 

Horror jolted upright. His body ached from another night of sleeping strewn out across the floor, but he was getting used to it. He distantly wondered if this was how prisoners slept, but decided that his condition was much better. 

When he looked at Crooks, he noted the skeleton's fond expression. He toddled past Horror and into the kitchen to eat, quieter and more ghastly than ever. 

Horror rose to his feet with a small shudder, mumbling a 'good morning' to Farm as he brushed past, ignoring his constant bombard of questions. 

Horror immediately barricaded himself in the bathroom, practicing the lowliest levels of hygiene in the forms of washing his face, and clearing the crust from around his eye sockets. 

He was out of it. His mind shrouded in a haze as he gingerly checked under his burlap robes for any sores from his impractical sleeping position. 

When he found none, Horror exited the restroom, finding his way to the kitchen with ease. It was the first time in a while he was able to live somewhere for an extended period of time. 

Horror knew the rooms of Farm's house he was allowed in like the back of his hand. He could go through with his eyes closed. He could navigate with no problems, a feat he could truthfully admit to being proud of. 

Before he even reached the kitchen, a pleasant scent caused him to stop in his tracks. 

The smell of protein permeated the air, causing Horror to sprint to the kitchen, fueled by disbelief. 

"Happy birthday Horsie!" Farm shouted, searing something on the stove as he beamed energetically. 

Rather than reciprocating the feeling or even pretending to be aloof, Horror stood there, frozen in dread. His metaphorical heart sank. This day wasn't supposed to ever come. 

He forgot about his escape plan. Instead of the nonchalance that should've overtaken his frame at the minor setback, an uneasy feeling of guilt hung over him as Farm's enthusiasm began to wear away. 

"You ok Horsie?" Farm asked, uncertainty washing over his previously overjoyed face. "I thought you'd be excited." 

"No no everything's fine!" Horror grumbled, knowing he was very far from convincing. "I'm just still kinda tired is all." 

While the second half of his lie might've been more believable, Farm still eyed him suspiciously, moving around something that was currently being cooked on the stove. 

"I don't buy it." Farm muttered, looking back to the stovetop as Horror escorted himself to the table, joined by Crooks and Farm's brother shortly after. 

Horror glanced at Crooks, who looked just as alert as the former felt. The smell of meat being prepared must've been mingling with both of them, because Horror eventually found himself fidgeting with the tablecloth as Crooks was unable to sit still. 

"You guys seem to have a lot of energy today." Farm observed, passing around plate full of perfectly done food. "Hope we can put it to good use with today's chores." 

Horror restrained himself from sighing when he heard that. Chores. He absolutely hated chores. They were currently the bane of his existence, along with a couple other things. 

One thing was hunger. Hunger that may as well be quelled by the food on Horror's plate. There were eggs, a piece of toast, and best of all, some kind of beefy mush that at least smelled good. 

He ate the meal with great gusto, not leaving a single speck of anything on his plate. The food was good, and without proper nourishment he wouldn't survive anyways. 

"Thanks." Horror whispered sincerely, flashing just a small smile as Crooks finished his food. 

"You're quite welcome." Farm replied, grinning happily at his accomplishment. "Why not stick around a bit after you guys finish. Today's going to be a bit different." 

"Yeah alright." Horror said, excusing himself from the table to retreat to his room. "I'll be waitin'." 

Horror went to his room, Crooks close in tow as he felt a small bit of relief grace him. He wouldn't have to do chores this early. Not yet. It was a blessing and a curse, because now he didn't really have anything to do. 

Perhaps he could make something fun to do. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Yep. That's that. Guess this one was to put some suspicions and speculations to rest... at least in my mind. Was it good? Could it have been better? Probably, but for now I think I'm finished.

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed!

- De Moogus 

(On a side note, did more research about killing animals. So the way Farm executed it was not technically suitable for like best of the best standards, but it was approved by basic laws of humane killing and is largely practiced around the world. It's called like non-stun killing, or bleed-killing, or something like that, and is the practice of killing the animal quickly without doing any damage to the brain, i.e stunning it... hope this helps...)