Coffee

—Reaper's POV—

Staring off into space again... my favorite pastime. Even though I was looking in his direction, my eyes couldn't quite focus on Crooks' large form, even when he stood still, directing my slimy adversary on how to cook without getting goop in the food. With a few blinks of acknowledgment, suddenly, my gaze wasn't looking between the dimensions anymore, and my focus had went beck to one specific plane of reality. 

I sighed, knowing the squeezing myself back in between would be impossible without me realizing it. So, as compromise, I rested my eye sockets, shutting them and letting out a deep yawn, startling the human. I chuckled quietly, replaying the events of this morning in my head. To be completely honest, I don't know if I'd have the energy to make anyone's life hell this month. I just wanted to scare the numbskull into leaving me alone for the night so I could rest, and even then I only got about 2 more hours of sleep.

I glanced over at Y/N, for a 'pet' she sure was intelligent. I wonder where she came from? A destroyed AU? Captured multiverse traveler? One of those idiots touring their sector of the galaxy? Under my stare she visibly tensed, her eyes darting up and almost meeting mine every few moments. "Is there something you need...?" She squeaked, no malice or impatience in her tone, just pure concern and curiosity. Even when injured she was still willing to lend a hand, and didn't take advantage of her poor condition.

I ruffled her hair, earning an angry noise. "Nah, I think I'll handle myself today, you stay and rest okay?" I didn't catch a response as I got up to teleport to the kitchen, catching a few wriggling tentacles to the face as a greeting. Promptly, I shoved them away, earning a glare from Nightmare as he tried not to get any of his slime into the food again.

I chuckled, walking to the other side of the kitchen to prepare myself some coffee. I never really slept, and when I did, of course I had horrible nightmares or just empty dreams, and I'm starting to wonder if being around this octopus has made it any worse. But, I don't have a room to sleep in, and sleeping on the couch is below me, so I'll just live off coffee and those little 5 hour energy things. 

I plopped down in a wooden chair near the counter the coffee press was on. Playfully kicking my feet as I waited for it to steep. I thought briefly back to Nightmare's mail, taking the ripped pieces of the note I wrote out of some hidden compartment in my cloak. I spread them out across the counter, gingerly piecing each and every little bit to its match, soon having the whole letter reconstructed. 

I smirked at my work before destroying it, this time, trashing all the pieces. I extracted the coffee from the machine, and then proceeded to customize it to my liking, adding sugar cubes and whatnot. I spared a wink for Crooks before leaving and settling back down next to the babe, seeing her trying to put pressure on her legs again. 

"You really shouldn't be doing that." I advised, taking the empty plate and fork from her. "I know, but I feel a bit better." She muttered back, placing just a little pressure on her leg and wincing. "See? Now stop." I told her, adding just a droplet of venom to my voice to enforce the mood. She huffed and slid back on the couch, glancing up onto the loft every so often, until some of the others came down, making the atmosphere less awkward.

First down was Cross, then Error, followed by Killer, and lastly Dust. Horror was nowhere to be seen, probably in Y/N's room looking for her. "Hey goldfish, over here." Nightmare shouted unenthusiastically from the kitchen, everyone came in nonetheless. Even Horror, who slunk from the shadows, onto the loft, down the stairs, off the landing, and into the kitchen. "Crooks and I made spaghetti, so enjoy it." He demanded, earning a few careless grumbles. 

They all sat down to eat, and I peacefully sat here, drinking my coffee. It was good, and I didn't feel like getting up to eat, so I wouldn't. The human looked also looked full, so she gets a pass too. 

Within maybe about 10 to 15 minutes, everyone was finished, and Nightmare had decided on a mission for us already. Usually, and I'd overheard Killer and Dust discussing this, they wouldn't get 2 or 3 missions in a row. I assume the whole multiverse raiding spree has caused an uprise or something? But maybe I'm just thinking too much. 

Besides, it doesn't matter now, I'm leaving for my first mission.

~~~~~~~~~~

Yessir, another good chapter huh? I'm caught up on all my work and have all A's! Hurray for me, along with anyone else with good grades! I wonder if this kinda thing could jumpstart my career? Also! Official 40th chapter! (I think?) Minus like the author's note, the bday bonus, all the irrelevant stuff. 

Yay! Happy morning! Thank for reading! Hope you enjoyed!

- De Moogus