Goal Unobtainable

{Fyashback}

At unholy hours on a cold autumn night, Horror lies awake, staring up at the roof. 

His little brother, Crooks the baby bones, takes on similar a similar position, except he is unfortunately asleep. He decided the rest was a necessity, whereas Horror could not bring himself to slumber. 

Sure he'd slept like maybe one or two hours as the moon began its trek across the sky, but at times like this, he couldn't help but be awake. Adrenaline laced his metaphorical veins, and even if not to be utilized immediately, it still made him very antsy. 

Horror sat up, flicking a sharp gaze to Crooks. He was fast asleep, snoring quietly in a way that made Horror's face soften. He wasn't going to ruin Crooks' night because of his irrational paranoia.  

He'd just get up, check the time, and go back to his room. 

Leaving silently, Horror slipped out of his bedroom and into the hallway. The temperature was vastly different there, warmer, dryer air enveloped Horror as he swiftly walked to the kitchen. 

For some reason, the clock on the stove was off.

Horror cursed on low chords, instead getting a cup of water to drown out the dryness in the air. He tiptoed over to the water dispenser, filling a small white cup halfway with water. He then drank it, sighing before he turned around to put it back, but something intercepted him. 

"Lemme get that." 

Bony hands reached through the darkness, taking Horror's cup and setting it on the counter. Horror, completely stunned, looked up to see Farm, in the dark, but now illuminated by the soft glow from Horror's eye. 

"What the actual—!" Horror nearly yelled, but Farm pressed a finger to his teeth, his tired smile a tad stretched. "I mean, what are you doing here?" 

"I could ask you the same thing." Farm whispered, reeling back and leaning over onto the sink, glancing out the window above it. "This is my house, after all." 

Horror was at a loss for words. Farm went to bed in a rush, but here he is, lingering in the kitchen. Moonlight poured out of the sky, through the window, and onto his tired face. Horror didn't want to know why, because any wasted time could hinder his escape. 

"Cat got your tongue?" Farm asked, sparing a brief peep in Horror's direction. "That happened to me a lot when I was younger." 

"Do I look like you?!" Horror blurred, sick of staying silent and sick of Farm's presence. He wasn't going to wait another night to leave Font Farm. 

Farm laughed, but it was about at dry as the air in the kitchen. Pushing up off the sink, he simply walked away, paying Horror no heed. Now the moonlight flowed to the floor, but in Horror's opinion, it was worth lighting up more than Farm could ever be. 

He scoffed incredulously, stomping after Farm, to no avail. When he looked down the hall that Farm had disappeared down, he didn't see anything. What a prick. 

Livid, Horror marched into his room, kicking the door closed before he rustled Crooks awake. The latter looked the slightest bit startled, but understood the look on Horror's face, patiently sitting awake as Horror slunk out the room once more, this time careful of any skeletons hiding about. 

Finding none, Horror deftly unlocked the door, slipping out and into the chill of night. Icy breezes licked at his face in the promise of a freezing winter. He shivered, skipping across hard pavement. 

Just a quick go around the house to make sure his plan was foolproof. Crooks had likely packed their items already, so if he didn't run into any interference, he was set. 

Horror was not set. 

Around the corner, leaned against the thick brick walls of his own home, was Farm. Dressed for the cold, he was, but he was also too relaxed. Not a single bone in his body was tense, everything lax and careless. 

Horror slowly started walking away. He didn't want to fight Farm, he wouldn't win anyways. He didn't even want to face Farm right now, or frankly, ever again. He wanted to get off the farm. 

He needed to get off the farm.

Before he was able to make his swift retreat, Farm was in front of him, grabbing him, pinning him to the hard brick wall. Alarm flooded his face before it was immediately washed out, and his grip softened. Horror released a gasp, appalled. 

"Let go you bastard!" Horror spat, thrashing violently. He had a escape plan to execute!

"Sorry, thought you were someone else." Farm said, not letting go, but intertwining his fingers with Horror's for a more agreeable grip. "What're you doing out here, anyways?" 

"None of your business!" Horror hissed, attempting to kick Farm in the knee, but Farm deflected the kick. "Just let me go already and go back inside!" 

"Ok." Farm said, dragging Horror, by the hands, into the house. "Just be quiet about it."

"H-Hey!" Horror protested, trying to stop Farm as he was taken through the kitchen, up the hall, past his room, and into Farm's. "I'll go back to my room I swear just let me go!" 

Full of rage and unwilling to submit to Farm, Horror kicked and flailed and even tried to bite Farm missing as he growled and murmured expletives. Horror ended up being tossed onto Farm's bed, while Farm shut the door, and even went as far as to lock it. 

Horror glared at Farm heatedly, shrinking away when he came to sit on the bed, casting a wordless glance at the floor. Why was Farm acting all weird and aloof again? It baffled Horror but no one else seemed to notice.

"Horror can I take a moment to say something?" Farm muttered, low and personal. 

Slightly surprised by the soft tone, and the respect of his boundaries for once, Horror stopped seething for a moment to listen to what Farm had to say. 

"It might not be the right time." Farm went on, scratching the back of his skull as a bit of a smile began to bring back the Farm Horror knew. A greenish haze invaded his cheekbones, and he looked at the ground the whole time, straw hat casting a shadow over his face.

"But I do love you."

~~~~~~~~~~

It's amazing how music can set a mood. Put my playlist on shuffle to see how it'd influence my writing (psychologically speaking) and Wowie. Listened to a bunch of wordless electronic Daft Punk type stuff first, then went into the more miscellaneous romance or personally influenced stuff. Guess that's kind of an explanation if the mood of this chapter seemed a little off, but I could not write at ALL this morning or last night it was like getting a drop of syrup out of a funnel. So I turned on some tunes to help the creative juices flow and huzzah. 

Also this sounded so cringe when I wrote it I had an idea but I kinda went off track lol

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed!

- De Moogus 

(P.s probably going to be the last flashback chapter, the next one I mean. This arc has gotten pretty long ngl. It's time to wrap things up with a cookie and a bow.)