Decent Days

{Omg more flashback when will this end}

Tomorrow was Horror's fake birthday. 

The thought weighed on him as he tilled fields, taking a long time as the cold nipped persistently at his bare ankles. The weather was not kind to him when he was stripped of his jacket. 

Everyday, Horror noticed new holes growing in the fabric, and couldn't help but pick at them. It was better than picking at his eye socket, or his skull, but he found it perturbing when he caught Farm eyeing any of the holes or commenting. It drove him crazy. 

Speaking of the holes, falling back onto his haunches, Horror spotted a new one growing down by his feet, in a popular area where gravel and dirt often soiled and sometimes tore. 

The little split in the fabric was large enough for Horror to stick his pinky finger in, so he did. The metal plow he was using rested idly in his hand as Horror sighed, taking a short break. 

His body ached most this time of year. It was cold, he couldn't sleep, and the air got thinner and dryer, inviting more dust and terrible particles to manifest in between his intricate bones.

 It sucked, more than summer with blazing heat and the unkind Sun beating down on him. More than spring with it's annoying weeds and even more irritating bugs. And... well Horror didn't quite know about winter, he hadn't been on the farm that long, and didn't plan on it with his escaping ideas brewing. 

Speaking of Farm, the skeleton was approaching in the distance, covered in soil, a bright smile on his face, slightly shaded by the straw hat he wore. He seemed to be getting closer, saying something, but not loud enough for Horror to hear. 

In an instant, Horror was on his feet, plow in hand, looking for a route of evasion. He did not feel like dealing with Farm— not right now. Not after the talk they had that Horror hadn't had a chance to process yet. 

He still felt his cheekbones faintly flush at the thought of Farm's firm grip on his jaw... Horror could've easily scarred his hand with a forceful chomp, but there was an invisible force that kept him from ever injuring Farm... majorly anyways. 

There were times when Horror would scratch, kick, claw, bat, or even slap Farm. Not without due punishment or a playful rebuke, but it still happened. 

Unfortunately however, Horror was not in the mood for any kind of scuffle today. He was avoiding Farm, because he wasn't so sure he felt like talking to him today. 

He ignored him at breakfast, brushed him off when he knocked on the door during Horror's bathroom break, and flipped him off when he made an unwelcome quip about his attire. 

Horror believed Farm should've gotten a hint by now, but he's got a thick skull. There was no getting through to him, and Horror would just have to deal with him another day. 

Speaking of another day, Farm seemed not to be on the same page, moving at a steady pace towards Horror. He could make out Farm's bright grin, soil covering his overalls as his straw hat shaded his eye sockets. He wasn't going to stop if Horror shouted for him to. 

Maybe Horror could hide in the house for another bathroom break. The towering building loomed in the distance, casting a shade over a pasture that Horror never got to work in. 

Making his way towards it, Horror walked briskly. He weaved in and out of various vegetable patches, spryly dodging any greens in his way. If he was lucky, the front door wouldn't be locked. 

Horror was not lucky. 

Trying the handle proved useless as a franticness rose in Horror's rib cage. The front door wouldn't budge. Locked tight. He would have to enter through the back. 

Sparing a glance at Farm, the skeleton waved his arms near desperately. His pace had quickened since Horror last looked, easing him into panic. 

Horror sprinted around the walls of the large building, Farm out of sight as Horror took but a moment to rest in the cool shade. Sure the fall was cold, and the sun made things warmer, but there was something  about autumn shade that was better than the sunnier side of it. 

As Horror made his way around the back of the house, firm footsteps alerted him to Farm's presence as he slammed onto the back door and twisted the handle as much as possible. 

It didn't budge. 

Jiggling the handle left and right, Horror prayed the door would open. It didn't. It was locked. Horror was locked out. 

It was too late to run again, because gloved hands slammed onto either side of Horror trapping him between a tightly locked door and a smug skeleton. Farm let out a huff of exasperation, flashing a tired smile as Horror whipped around, already on the defensive. 

"Gave me a bit of a chase there." Farm said, quietly catching his breath as Horror growled low, attempting to duck out of Farm's cage only to be blocked. 

"What'd you expect? You were the one who followed me." Horror spat, glaring vicious knifes at his dirt-covered captor. 

"Woah Horsie, calm down. I wasn't tryna' scare you there." Farm assured, slowly backing away from Horror, arms falling to his sides as a barely noticeable greenish hue bloomed on his cheekbones. "Just uhh, needed help putting down a couple bovines." 

Horror faltered. A new nickname, a new offer, and a new reason for his cheeks to light up. Farm was a prick, but a prick that never stopped surprising Horror as to his prickly tendencies. What the heck was a bovine, anyway?

"Sure whatever, just say something before you start chasing me ok?" Horror uttered, awkwardly hugging himself close as Farm beamed, grabbing Horror's arm and pulling him along. 

"Alrighty let's go!" Farm exclaimed, leading his newfound assistant to the barn. 

Things were about to get... exciting. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Hiya! I know I'm a tad late but getting readjusted to Wattpad again has been... a little rocky. I accidentally left my tab open when I was editing and well oops I forgot to save the whole thing... I legit forgot that happened when you left stuff open. Little old me stayed up till 4 am watching true crime shows on Netflix like 'I'll post it like three seconds before I collapse and pass out' but alas, it wasn't even saved!! (Sorry for my clumsiness!)(Those of you who've been around for a bit know I'm slow on Saturdays, so I guess this came way later than intended.)

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed!

- De Moogus

(P.s back to the paragraph long author's ending notes huh?? Yeah, I believe in sharing with my audience. <3)