To the slaughter house!

{do I even have to say it...?}

Horror held onto his axe as a means of grounding himself to his spot on the floor. Just because of the minuscule moment he and Farm shared, he wasn't going to get all soft and mushy. No way. Now was not the time. 

"Are you gonna gimme directions or...?" Horror pondered aloud, keeping his gaze on Farm as not to be distracted by the creatures around him. 

Farm brought a hand to his chin, playfully scrutinizing Horror. He stood in front of him maybe two or three feet away, ready to pounce on anything that moved.

"Nah nah, we should herd the cows first. Then bring them to the slaughterhouse." Farm declares, nodding justly as he took a swift step forwards and grabbed Horror's hand— not arm. 

"Sorry to get you hyped, Horsie." Farm cooed, taking Horror's axe as the latter groaned and furrowed his brow. "You don't wanna kill em' right in front of each other, do you?" 

Almost as if one cue, a cow from the stable loudly drawled an interrupting 'moo' causing a knowing grin to break out across Farm's face. "Told you." He chuckled, booping Horror's cheekbone as the axe disappeared from sight. 

"I know dammit!" Horror hissed, his hunger getting to him. Slowly he consoled himself, taking in deep breaths before facing Farm again, a slight hint of shame on his features. 

"O-K!" Farm huffed, doing a small twirl to get a full scope of the barn before finally naming any cows. "Fifer, Fifi, Roxy, Betty, Cupid, Verissa, Vanny, and Clover. To the slaughterhouse." He named, expertly.  (<_< | >_>)

"There are signs with the names on them. For now, just lead them out by the reins. Should be easy." Farm instructed, heading to one side of the barn and beginning to undo some locks on a stable. "They're pretty docile, so don't pull anything funny and they won't nip at you." 

With his newfound instructions, Horror nodded and started from the opposite side of the barn. The cows were alphabetically sorted, so it was easy to figure out who was who. 

First, he undid the many locks and binds that held Verissa. Next, he freed Vanny, the cow with an odd stare. Then it was Roxy, the cow who reminded him of a fiercer animal, judging by the way she nipped and mooed aggressively. 

When he went to get the next cow, Farm was already there, clutching the reins of five bovines. He held them securely, a triumphant smile on his face as he ogled Horror's lesser amount. 

"We seem to be uneven." Farm stated obviously, passing one of his leads to Horror. "Now we're not." 

"The slaughterhouse is actually behind our home." Farm informed Horror, also confusing him. It was evident on his face. 

"Y'know, like our 'shed'?" Farm queried, leaning down to better be all up in Horror's face, steadily leading him out of the barn. "It's not a shed, by the way." 

"I get it." Horror sighed, gritting his teeth when a cold autumn breeze whipped past him, nipping at his ankles and cheekbones. Horror really hated the cold. 

Summer was fine, spring storms and showers didn't bother him much, and nothing grew too well in the winter, but autumn was just in between two extremes. He got all the bitter coldness of winter, while still having to harvest just as much crops like in the summer. 

It wasn't really any way to win when dealing with the seasons. Even though there was nothing to harvest in winter someone would still have to collect firewood and wash blankets. If there was nothing inside, Horror would have to do literally everything inside, like he had been doing for the past couple months now. 

Horror waved to Crooks who stood in the kitchen window. He had previously been washing it, but he he stopped to share a pleasantry with his older brother. 

There was something in his expression that set Horror off though. Crooks was terrible at hiding things, inanimate or not. What it was looked like desperation. Crooks looked somewhat hesitant, but also slight expectant. 

Horror nodded again. He knew what was on his little brother's mind, because it had been on his too— all day actually. The plan. The very escape that they'd planned for weeks was supposed to happen. It was supposed to happen when the Sun's last flare died in the sky. When the Moon hung high above the clouds. 

Yet, just as the Moon above said clouds, the thought hung heavy above Horror's head. If this was something he couldn't pull off, the punishment would be horrendous. If he didn't escape now, he might just be under Farm's custody forever. 

The plan had been hardwired into Horror's metaphorical brain. He remembered it like the back of his hand, and dreaded it like no tomorrow. It was an odd feeling keeping him back, an odd feeling he would have to let go of if he wanted to ever leave the plentiful pastures of Font Farm. 

"Heya Horsie, are you good?" 

Horror jumped, snapping back to reality. He didn't realize he'd been mindlessly walking along until Roxy mooed in a manner that suggested boredom, and of course Farm's question. 

"Yeah, just peachy." Horror lied, head down as he quickened his pace to the slaughterhouse. "Hunger makes me zone out." 

Farm hummed. Horror could tell he wasn't convinced, but he was relieved when he didn't pry any more than what Horror was comfortable with. 

"Sure..." Farm mumbled, arriving at their destination as Horror looked up at the tall metal doors and shining locks. "Brace yourself, there's scary stuff in there." 

All Horror did in preparation was blink. He blinked once, then twice, then three times. That was when Farm opened the door with a breathy sigh. 

Inside, it was too dark to see a thing. Horror bluntly walked inside, Farm following, along with all the now uncomfortable bovines. This time, Roxy wasn't the only one to voice her concern. 

"Here we are..." Farm uttered, stating the obvious once again. "Just gotta find that light switch... then we can begin."

It took a moment of audible fumbling for Farm to find the switch. Horror guessed that Farm didn't eat his carrots, because he could see through the inky blackness of the so called shed after his eyes adjusted. 

"There it is!" Farm shouted proudly, flicking on the lights with a loud 'click' as Horror hissed and covered his eye sockets from the newfound brightness. 

Light illuminated the room. Things were really about to begin. 

~~~~~~~~~~

It seems my intense foreshadows were mere tricks of the mind... oh well. 

Btw, just to explain my schedule to those who may or may not be a bit (rightfully) confused, I try to post every other day, as not to overwork myself! (Which is contradictory, because I said the same thing to the people on AO3 knowing full well I just commit suicide with a double-edge sword.) But for now you get updates every other day! (With the exception of Saturdays which are my slow day where I post like nothing until around 10:00 or later.)

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed!

- De Moogus