Karma

Just fyi it really hurt to write this. No hatery, it had to be done. 

—Your POV—

Wow, the change of pace is a little dizzying. 

One second you're locked in a chair in front of a cryptically speaking 90's weirdo, and the next you're part of a squadron of skeletons quietly parading down a hall, specifically at the back. Every step was littered with giggles and anxious smiles and the group oozed a sense of childish eagerness, which was funny and dangerous. 

You're literally being pulled along by the wrist and trying not to trip over your two left feet as Lust gushes about something you have no knowledge of to the Epic beside him, the two skeletons seem to enjoy each other's company more than you'd previously anticipated. 

Fresh was energetically skipping in the front, he appeared to enjoy his own space, but would occasionally lean back or slow down to input his random opinion or two, leaving Epic and Lust mostly alone. 

You came to an abrupt and untimely stop around the corner which left you hopping on one foot to regain balance, the skeletons in front of you snickering like fools. Lust's gaze flicks from his blushing partner to you, back and forth a few times before he drops your hand and turns to face you. 

"Right! Lovely, who's the cuter stud?" Lust chirps, giving you a promiscuous pose and a more promiscuous face while Epic just turned to you and pulled out a rubber chicken, smirking at your confusion as to why he'd have it. 

You contemplated your thoughts and went over your words carefully. You didn't want to say the wrong thing or make anyone upset... they were asking you essentially which one was more physically attractive, not who hasn't tried to detain me and my friend in the past thirty minutes and then somehow got a pass as a new buddy. 

You saw Fresh in the back silently waving his arms and smiling largely, but you quickly pretended not to notice, because in truth he was probably the one who was most likely to make you cringe. 

"C'mon let's walk and talk you're taking your time I see." Lust coos, taking your hand more delicately this time as he half drags you down another set of hallways, and you're stuck wonder why you guys aren't teleporting right now. 

"Horror." You answer, plain and simple, cut and dry. Lust even pauses to playfully glare at you as Epic laughs in triumph. You shrug, it didn't take much thought really, Horror has been on your mind a whole lot, even if he's not probing your frontal lobe. 

Speaking of Horror, it's the feeling you feel when your party rounds a corner and nearly runs into someone of actual significance. Someone very, very important, you note, so important they make your heart sink into your stomach. 

A fidgety and uncomfortable looking Papyrus stands before you. 

The lanky skeleton looks down at the smaller skeletons with a more than strained smile as Lust gives you a light push to send you back around the corner. You peek out from there, spectating the scene before you. 

"H-Hi friends...!"

"Hey Paps... you ain't lookin' too great." 

It was halfway a pun, just waiting to be told, but also halfway just broad truth. Papyrus visibly winces when Fresh mentions his current state, but smiles harder in an attempt to combat whatever unfathomable emotions he's battling underneath that bony exterior. 

"Papy, Darling what's wrong? You can't hide such terrible feelings forever, Dear." Lust purred, the way he spoke to Papyrus like literally no one else kind of shocked you, but you guessed someone like Papyrus deserved more than what he didn't. 

"W-Well... you see... my job here is in jeopardy. I do not believe Sans will be able to handle such news." Papyrus practically whispered it, his huge figure obviously trying not to tremble. He was always putting others before himself, you felt a very real, very large pang of guilt come and smack you in the chest, doing your best not to move or make any noise despite your discomfort. 

"Who told you that?" Epic chimed in, tone soft and understanding, even his eye lights were dimmed and visibly distressed, but in a sympathetic and controlled way. 

"Red. H-he told me to stop being a numbskull...that the only 'great' thing about me was my tendency to *ahem*... 'fuck' things up." Papyrus audibly chocked on the words, dipping his beautiful porcelain head in shame... you couldn't believe your ears.

Silence fills the hallway. 

A door behind you opens and closes, but no one pays it any heed as all the eye sockets go dark. It's a little bit scary really, everyone freezes, like how Fresh was and how poor Papyrus is. It isn't much a heartwarming moment when the atmosphere is so cold... 

"Well... fuck Red. He's been here longer than any of us." Epic mutters reassuringly, the lights slowly flickering back in as everyone kind of recovers from that heap of info dropped on everyone. 

You're sure if you had those weird little eye lights, yours would be pinpricks rather than not being there at all, though the idea of how long all the skeletons have been here does slightly interest you. Luckily, Papyrus reads your mind and asks for you. 

"How long has everyone been here anyways?" Papyrus asks gingerly, and you mentally thank him as Fresh is actually the one to pipe up, while Lust looks dumbfounded and Epic looks somewhat confident in what he's doing. 

"Well broski, Red'll only tell you he's been in this not-so-hype area for a decade, but that's because he stopped counting after a decade." Fresh starts, and you have a feeling this is going to be more than just a friendly discussion about how many years everyone's been on the job. 

"Legit though, he's been here 16 years, myself 11, Epic over here is 7 and Lust has only been around what— like 2?" Fresh chuckles, looking rather content with his ability to remember things like this, as Epic looks up at the roof and Lust avoids eye contact too. 

"Actually, I've been here shorter than that." Lust murmured, mustering a small smile and a small laugh that made the mood from earlier look so very silly. 

"I've been hired and working for 9 years actually, and my brother Sans was hired 6 years before... so that means him and Red have the same amount of years." Papyrus mentions, giving you a slight sense of relief to see the color returning to his cheekbones as the smile became a tad more genuine. 

"That's a nice record, and not to kill the mood, but what could you possibly have your job threatened for?" 

Wrong question. 

Papyrus went ominously still. Epic recoiled a little and Lust and Fresh sent him glares with traces of irritation in them. It was a frigid few moments before you were able to elicit a response, but what it was made you want to scream and cry and run in circles a lot. 

"A little human tricked me." 

~~~~~~~~~~

Wonder who he's talking about. 

Any ideas?

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed!

- De Moogus