🍪

—Your POV—

Suddenly animated, you bolt down the stairs as satisfaction flows smoothly through your veins. Horror's on your tail, questioning your inexplicable burst of energy but you don't bother explaining. He stops asking once you make it to the kitchen, instead sucking in a sharp breath of air, near regretfully. 

In the dining room, Killer, casted up and looking more like a mummy than a skeleton sits at the table. He props his feet up on it and angrily murmurs while eating his cookie. Dust, on the other end, looks less than amused with his careless actions, clutching a pastry of his own. 

The cookie carton sits on the counter, waiting on the other side of the dining room. 

Error is leaned over the sink, staring out at the seemingly infinite land that stretches beyond Nightmare's mansion. He either doesn't notice you or doesn't care to indicate that he does. Cross stands stationary beside Nightmare, his expression icy and distant as always. 

Snickers ring out behind you as you walk past the table, and you hear a sharp hush before you turn around to see Dust and Killer staring at you, both of them wearing the same, wisenheimer grins. 

Nightmare looks irritated, shamelessly marching up and smacking the grins off their faces. Dust recoils with a hiss while Killer makes a snarky remark, leaving Nightmare seething. 

"You hit like a little girl." 

"Even when I'm weakened I could still send your ass to hell." 

The two are at each other's necks for a further moment until Horror comes around the corner, concerned but his face falls into a deadpan at the sight of Nightmare and Killer ruffling up each other's fur. 

"Guys." Is all he says, and somehow gets both the skeletons to snap out of it. 

"Well then." Nightmare declares, clearing his throat rather audibly. "Go ahead, have one any of em', in fact they're all yours." 

You turn back to the counter and pluck up the fresh box of regular old store bought cookies. Still, you won't deny tasty treats, no matter the brand. They're even unopened, how kind. 

"Why don't you come on over for a seat at the table?" Nightmare offers, verbally forcing Killer and Dust away from the table. The duo gets up reluctantly, and all of them gather around except for Error. 

You still don't know where Lust and Reaper are, come to think of it, but you don't think you want anyway. If they're anywhere near each other, you feel as though it won't end well, for anyone. 

"Go on and eat." Nightmare coos, suddenly close to your ear. You jump and almost bark at him for violating your space and thoughts, but Horror does that for you. 

"Hey." Is all he says, another one word save that makes Nightmare give him a look. They share said look, before Horror looks away with a growl and you shift uncomfortably. 

Why in the world is everyone gathering around you? It's not your birthday or anything, this feels a bit too special for something so small. 

Without further ado, you pop open the box of cookies. The skeletons around you trade lots of glances. There are eight, delicious cookies waiting for you inside, a pleasant aroma flowing from the box. 

Gingerly, you pick one and someone's breath hitches. You notice Dust catching the whole thing on video, but he hides the phone when you look. Maybe it is your birthday? Who knows how time works anymore?

You bring the cookie close to your mouth and excited trills ring out around you. You lower it and Nightmare stamps his foot. 

"Eat the damn cookie!" He commands, and you are immediately convinced to take a bite. 

Instead of warm, chocolate goodness, a bitter, sticky substance abuses your mouth. It's black and disgusting, thick and unappealing to your eyes or your tongue. The substance spills out like slime, clinging to your face. 

You spit and gag, shoving yourself away from the table while the crowd around you bursts into a fit of laughter. You do your best to try and escape, maybe to the sink, but Error stands there, and you're forced to run all the way to the bathroom, dropping the cookie as you depart. 

What the hell is even in your mouth? Nevermind, you don't want to know anyway. It's horrible absolutely and totally repulsive. It sticks to your tongue and teeth, making you want to vomit. When you finally make it to the bathroom, you frantically brushing your teeth with your toothbrush in an attempt to rid yourself of the terrible gooey stuff. 

It takes a bit, but you're satisfied with how your own mouth feels after maybe four or five minutes of vigorous brushing with toothpaste and water and even a little soap. 

You're livid. What the actual hell. You didn't risk your life multiple times for the sake of retrieving one of Nightmare's henchman, with the promise of a cookie for this. Not to be duped in front of everyone and made the household laughingstock, as if you didn't already suffer enough. 

Frustrated you stomp back to the kitchen. Those bastards are still laughing, except for Horror who grabs your arm a good distance away from the kitchen. He must've known this would happen, why didn't he tell you?

"Cupcake are you—" 

"No." You snap, burning him with your laser glare before making it to the kitchen. The laughter picks up significantly at the sight of you, and Killer points at something on your shirt. 

"Missed a spot, princess." (He means that gender nuetrally 👍✨✨) Killer sneered, and you notice the giant black splotch on your pajama clothes. 

Of course. 

The laughing picks up even more, and you feel like you're going to explode before a loud crack echoes and Nightmare near doubles over, coughing and ceasing the laughter. 

"Nightmare!" Cross shouts, pushing Error from the sink and shoving Nightmare over to it. "You're...wow." 

Nightmare vomits a thick inky black matter into the sink, his tentacles melting into him before he falls to the floor, eyes scrunched up in pain as he curls into a ball, his slime melting off and evaporating. 

Underneath are shiny white bones, untouched by harm except for a deep crack in the shoulder. Nightmare's jacket melts into something different as well, a purple tunic of a fine fabric that reflects the lights of the kitchen. He looks like a whole other person. 

"So the fun continues~." Killer purrs, walking over to the quivering Nightmare on the floor, but Cross shoots him a sharp look, instead picking Nightmare up in his arms. 

"Not yet." Cross murmured, going past you and to his couch where your eyes follow, flabbergasted. What just happened. 

Reaper comes around the corner, Lust trailing behind him. 

"I heard barfing." He mumbles, heading to the coffee maker and drinking straight from the pitcher, no creamer no nothing. "Everyone ok?" 

He says that before he notices with weak looking skeleton in Cross' arms. And before a twisted grin crawls up his face. 

"I see." He says, tone deviously even. 

"These next couple days are going to be fun ones." 

~~~~~~~~~~

-w- let's face it. You can't trust a god of negativity now can you

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed!

- De Moogus