Story of Decades

'People love stories.
They need stories.'

Adi slowly walked around the room and sat down in the only chair in that vast dimly lit room.

Rajeev looked into his eyes without changing an expression. Adi also looked at him in his eyes and the previous mischief was nowhere to be found in his demeanor.

Adi started reciting the story which only few people were aware of.

Adi: A few decades ago, there lived a princess in a distant country. She was called Sena. She was the apple of her family's eyes. She was the youngest princess of that country.

Her father doted on her. Her brother loved her more than anything. She knew nothing about the world outside her castle.

When she turned eighteen, her father, Ambrose the king, announced that it was time for her to be introduced to the world. She eagerly waited to see beyond those walls.

Her family attended a prestigious world convention of her times. Her father and brother accompanied her to the convention.

Sena: Father, what did you mean when you said that I'm going to be introduced to the world?

I have been going on a promenade around this resort for three days and you're yet to tell me the reason for bringing me here.

Her brother, Dikshan, interjected their conversation and added his point.

Dikshan: You are going to learn the reason soon, sister.

His eyes didn't miss the curiosity in her eyes. He smiled meaningfully at his father.

Ambrose: Usually, these conventions are attended by men. But there is a reason for us to bring you here, dear. Just look over there.

She looked in the direction her father pointed out. A handsome, tall man entered the hall at that time.

Eighteen years old Sena truly got mesmerized by the man.

Dikshan: He is the man you're going to get married to.

Her cheeks painted scarlet red. She was the beauty of their country. Heaven was kind with her when it came to her beauty.

She whispered to her brother.

Sena: This is a big development. By the way, why is he not visiting our country to ask for my hand? Why are we meeting him here?

Dikshan: He is not so fond of conventional methods. After all, he is a prince who believes in progress and open-mindedness.

Sena: oh. Is he a prince?

Dikshan: Do you think we will give you to a commoner?

Her heart swelled with happiness to look at her father and brother. They not only considered her but also made it easy for her to meet her beau. She was truly an innocent soul.

Dikshan: Why don't you go and meet him?

Sena: How can I? A woman shouldn't be forward in her advances. Sister-in-law taught me that.

Dikshan: She is not informed with the matters of love. Your Prince Satyadev likes boldness in women.

She smiled uncomfortably and nodded her head. He nudged her forward. She started walking towards her prince.

Dikshan: Is this right for her? She is a kid, father.

Ambrose: In order to control Z, we have no other go, Son.

Dikshan: Satyadev is married, father.

Ambrose: We are just going to hide that fact for sometime.

Dikshan looked helplessly at his sister. She was innocent to her bones.

Meanwhile, She reached the briskly looking prince.

Sena: Hello!

Satyadev turned his attention towards the young lady.

Satyadev: Hello, Yes miss ......??

Sena: I'm sorry. I failed to introduce myself. I'm Sena.

Satyadev: Hello, Miss Sena!

She liked how he didn't acknowledge her royalty and went with her identity as miss. She was not aware that he had no clue about her true identity.

Sena: This is my first time leaving the country. To be frank, leaving the house.

Satyadev looked around and found that no one was accompanying her and thought to speak with her as she seemed alone.

Satyadev: That's a surprise. Women are entering college and advancing careers these days. I hope you will also get to enjoy all the liberties. As we are talking, where are you from?

Sena thought that he would be playing with her.

Sena: L country.

Satyadev startled for a moment but hid his emotions quickly. L country was always against Z and the relationship remained cold between them for decades. Z believed in the power of people and abolished monarchy. However, L believed monarchy was the correct way to rule.

The difference in their ideology turned their relationship between countries cold. Satyadev took a step behind and examined the girl before him. She seemed not to be aware of anything and looked innocent.

Sena's eyes didn't miss his unsettled expression even though shown for a second.

Sena: I'm sorry if I had said something out of line.

Satyadev: Ugh. No. I just spaced out. Sorry if I didn't respond on time.

Sena: It's okay.

Satyadev: This is a World countries convention. Are you someone's plus one?

He probed her to know of her history. If she belonged to the royalty of that country, he would be cautious with her.

She believed by that time he was playing with her. So she thought to say differently.

Sena: My brother is a minister in L country. He was sent here as our country's representative and I'm his plus one.

She wasn't lying. After all, her brother was a minister in their country.

Satyadev: Oh.

Her innocence made him trust her words. He still wanted to stay away from her because something about her made him uneasy.

Satyadev: I failed to introduce myself from the beginning and was just probing you with questions.

I'm Satyadev, Prince of Z.

She smiled.

Satyadev: The sun started setting. I believe it would be better for you to retire to your quarters.

She nodded and left with a smile. He just shook his head and walked away in the opposite direction.

Dikshan looked at his sister in her room who was staring at the roof and smiling. Her giggles filled the room.

The convention lasted three days. She talked with Satyadev only on three occasions and their conversations always remained small and vague.

In her part, she was innocent and didn't know about anything. On his part, she was just one of the guests he met at the convention.

She was disappointed and looked at her brother as they returned in their car.

Dikshan: you will get an opportunity soon. Don't you worry.

She nodded. Dikshan looked at his father who was beaming.

She didn't know the men of her family and their plans, which would eventually destroy her life. Not only hers, but also her lineage.

#Author's note: Thank you for your patience folks. I have some chapters lined up. Please read and enjoy. Sorry for making you all wait. I had to take a sabbatical as life got busier.