Comfortable Moments

Natasha stayed with Clara for a few more hours that night, just talking.

The two missed this.

They hadn't seen or truly talked to one another in about 3 weeks and it was... it was something.

Natasha saw it was close to midnight at that point, she had a meeting the following morning with Maria and Shield.

Clara was sitting down looking at her hands. Natasha sensed there was something stressing Clara but just decided to let her rest.

Natasha walked over to her and wrapped her in a blanket. "I'm heading out." Natahsa said quietly.

Clara looked at her. "Huh? Why?" Clara said with surprise. Natasha knelt down in front of her and tucked her hair behind her hair.

"It's getting late. And you need your rest. You look exhausted." Natasha said as she smiled at her softly.

Clara looked around as if looking for a reason to make Natasha stay without saying it out loud. Eventually Clara looked at Natasha and just nodded with a sad smile.

Natasha kissed her cheek and headed to the door. She grabbed the door handle and felt a sense of Deja vu with this moment. It was almost like when Clara had her home broken into.

She did say she wanted Natasha to stay... but... it was obvious.

Natasha looked over at Clara who looked as if she was going to cry, sitting in her seat staring at her hands.

Natasha closed the door and locked it, which caught Clara's attention.

"Natasha?"

"I shouldn't leave you like this." Natasha said as she walked back over to her. Clara sprung up and hugged her tightly. Natasha held her tightly in her arms.

"I got you, Clara."

Clara's stress levels were so high. And finally everything was breaking down. Clara sobbed as she thought of all the things she had to do. She hurt Natasha, hurt the team, betrayed all of them.

She felt so awful. "I-I'm so sorry." She mumbled as she cried against the captain.

Natasha sank to the ground, and leaned against the wall holding her close. "It's okay... it's okay." Natasha reminded her over and over again.

Clara eventually relaxed and the crying reduced.

Natasha just kept her arms around her.

The room was silent until Natasha chuckled a bit. "Life's not fair to us huh..."

Clara knew life wasn't fair.

It never was.

"No it's not."

Clara eventually fell asleep, and ended up having a dream in the past again.

Clara opened her eyes and saw she was seated at a dining table. She saw a familiar home... a home she hadn't seen in so long.

She got out of her chair when suddenly she saw her mother. Peggy was at the door coming in from work.

"Hi darling!" Peggy said. Clara smiled and waved as she got up and hugged her mother. "Hi mom!"

Peggy smiled bright. "Oh how was everything?! Did your father take you to the library today?" Peggy said as she knelt down in front of her little girl and fixed her little dress.

"Of course he did! I read some books about spies." The little girl said brightly.

"Oh really?" Peggy said with a raised brow.

"Yeah. Some boys though made fun of me and pulled my hair." Clara said as she showed her mother.

Peggy looked at her until Steve came into the room. "She also got yelled at by the librarian for reading things that aren't 'ladylike'" Steve said as he leaned against the doorframe.

Peggy stood up and sighed. It was 1956 and it felt as if nothing was changing. Peggy just picked her little girl up.

"Ignore those terrible people. And... just be you. Okay honey?" Peggy said.

Clara simply nodded.

Peggy then looked at Steve. "We need to talk."

Clara woke up from the dream. She remembered that day...

She looked at Natasha who was asleep against the wall holding her. She carefully got up, making sure not to wake the captain. She searched for her phone when she stood.

She searched her contacts and stopped at one name.

Dad

She stared at it for a moment longer and then pressed it.

The phone rang a few times until someone picked up. "Hello?"

"Hey dad." She said quietly.

"Clara?! Are you okay?" He asked.

She nodded. "I am... I just..." she knew the group needed him. She needed him
Now.

"Can you come to shield? Please...?" She prayed he would say yes. He was quiet until he sighed.

"I'm on my way. I'll be there tomorrow."

"Really!?"

"Yes. I've been thinking about coming down. I've been seeing the situation and thought I could help at least...." He said.

"... and I've missed my kid." He said. Clara smiled softly and chuckled.

"I can't wait to see you."

"Can't wait honey. Now, get some sleep. See you tomorrow." Steve said as he grabbed his backpack off the shelf.

"Alright. Night." She hung up and smiled softly as she curled back up next to Natasha.

The next morning Natasha woke up first. She groaned slightly as she looked at her watch.

She then saw a message appear on her watch.

Maria: you coming?

Natasha suddenly realized she was late. "Oh shit-" she texted her she was on her way. He looked at Clara and carefully woke her up.

"Clara?"

Clara sat up and looked at her. "Hm?"

"I gotta go." Natasha said as she grabbed her jacket and her shoes. She rushed over to the door.

Clara followed behind. "Oh- sorry! I didn't- "

Natasha interrupted her sentence by pulling her into a kiss. Clara kissed her back. Natasha broke the kiss slightly.

"Not your fault." Natasha smiled a bit at her. Clara felt her face get hot, all over a damn smile.

"O-okay."

Natasha kissed her cheek again. "You have the day off. Relax, have fun, enjoy your time back. I'll see you later."

Natasha waved and headed out.

Clara stood there and held her face. "Stop blushing you idiottttttt!"