Alone

Bucky pulled on a black suit. A speech was carefully tucked into his pocket as he finished getting ready.

For the first time, Bucky was going to be addressing the nation alone. It was his job to tell the nation that his husband was gone, that their beloved president was gone.

He stared at himself in the mirror as he fixed his tie. It was crooked, and he was used to Sam fixing it for him.

He just took a deep breath as the door opened. It was Natasha in her suit. "Ready?" She Said looking at him.

"Do you think... your father would've been scared to address a whole country?" Bucky said was he looked at.

"He usually wasn't... but he would understand." She said with a sad smile. Bucky nodded a bit as he walked towards her.

He had to do this.

After some words were said by other dignitaries, Bucky walked onto the stage, standing on at the podium. He put his speech in front of him.

"Citizens of America. It is an honor, to stand before you and represent the White House. It is my first address to the nation, and sadly it will be the last."

Confusion went through the crowd. Bucky looked at his notes. "As of yesterday, my husband was assassinated." Roars sounded from the crowd.

"He was taken in a gruesome and unnecessary way. He fought to the very end. I was there when he died..." Bucky wiped tears from his eyes as he took a deep breath.

"My husband... your president, was the kindest man in the world. He was loved... he ..." he chuckled sadly as he just put his speech away.

"I'm going off script.". He said as he looked at the audience, just broken.

"My husband was a man who stood and fought for the innocent, no matter what the consequence was . He was a saint... and someone decided to kill the only man that truly saw the good in this nation."

Memories of Sam smiling and doing charity work flashed in his mind.

"He was for the people..."

The memory of Sam and him dancing in Louisiana came back to him. He held back his tears.

"My husband was perfect. He... he put me back together. He found me, loved me, held me, gave me everything I ever wanted. A family, a name, a purpose... but now I..." Bucky looked down at the podium, his tears dropping.

"I don't know what to do."

Bucky sighed and looked back at her audience. He saw people crying, sad faces, angered faces, neutral faces.

"I'm sorry... I uh." He cleared his throat.

"I thank this nation, for being kind to us. For voting for him, supporting him, and speaking for him. He will be missed deeply, and for a long long time." He took his leave.

He stood behind stage quietly as the Vice President, now President, started to answer questions.  He just walked to his room. The team was waiting for him.

They all looked at him as he loosened his tie. He just walked past them and grabbed his car keys. "I'm going home."

Natasha stepped towards him. "Do you need me to drive you?"

"No. Thank you sweetheart but... I need a moment. You can come over tomorrow with the team okay?" He said as he looked at her.

She nodded. He just wrapped his arms around her tightly. Kissed her head and then left.

He parked in front of the house. He turned the car off as it started to rain. It picked up pretty quickly. He just went inside the house. He stood in the door way and stared at the ground a bit as he kicked his shoes off.

He turned his head and saw Fallon sitting on his couch. Bucky stared at him blankly. "Beautiful speech you gave."

Bucky just pulled out his gun and pointed it at Fallon. Fallon just watched him. "You don't waste time... but even you know that will not stop me."

Bucky still fired the gun. Fallon stopped the bullet, making it fall got the ground. Bucky just dropped the gun and started to go up the stairs, not one word being said.

"He loved you a lot..." Fallon said.

Bucky stopped in the stairs.

"He asked for me to spare you and your daughter. He was a good man." Fallon said as he watched Bucky turn towards him.

"You don't get to compliment the man you killed." Bucky said, venom in every word.

Fallon looked at Bucky. Only seeing a man who was falling apart. Bucky was hanging onto whatever he had left of his soulmate.

"I didn't enjoy killing him."

"You still killed him." Bucky said.

"Yes I did."

Bucky shook his head. "It's funny... if soemthing like what happened to you happened to me... I wouldn't wish that on anyone." He said as he walked back towards him.

Fallon frowned as Bucky stood in front of him face to face. "You think you're getting a point across, but all you're doing is making every see you as the villain." Bucky shoved him.

Fallon glared. "Don't touch-"

Bucky just shoved him again. This time harder. Fallon stumbled. Bucky grabbed his collar and threw him into the wall. Fallon winced.

"You have no idea what you've done to me." Bucky said with a chuckle. He pulled out his knife. "You took away the only man who... who cared for me."

He was angry. He threw the knife at him. Fallon manipulated the knife, making it drop to the ground. Bucky just stared at the ground.

"My husband was innocent. And he was my life, my daughters confidant, the worlds confidant..." he looked at him slowly. Fallon paused.

"We know your weakness." Bucky said quietly. Fallons eyes widened.

"You messed with the wrong people, and killed the wrong people." Bucky's words were laced with venom. Fallon just looked at him.

"I doubt it."

Bucky chuckled darkly as he pulled out his gun.

"Wanna test that theory?"