A Question

Sam sat at the table. alone.

Once again.

He had his husbands file open, staring at those words that changed everything. "There was... no report of him?"

"I even sent our agents to search the wreckage... nothing." Maria said. Sam closed Bucky's file. He was still for a few moments. A few moments that felt agonizingly long to Maria.

After a bit... he pulled a piece of paper out of his bag.

Maria looked at him confused. His hand moved across the page as if he was signing something. His assistant entered as he handed the paper to her.

"Take that to the Pentagon." He said quietly. Maria paused.

"Sam?"

"Do you remember when I said I would declare war?" Sam said. Maria's eyes widened.

"I just did."

He stood and looked at her. "They have done enough... they've invaded the US, they've killed so many, they've hurt so many people, we have evidence, so... that's enough..." he stood strong.

At least that's what it looked like.

"I've... had enough." So with that...

War was declared on specifically Hydra.

Sam just walked into his office and stood there in the darkness. He held his head as frustration took over his mind. He leaned against the door and held his head.

His secret service agents, standing there in silence.

He sank to the ground and cried into his hands. The agents stood on either side of him, neither saying a word. "It's not fucking fair!" He yelled as he stayed there.

He was the most powerful man in the world, and he still would lose Bucky.

Sam just didn't understand how the bad people got to live their lives, but all the good people in his life don't get the same privileges.

He lost Riley.

He's lost Bucky more than once.

He's lost his daughter twice.

And it hurt just as much every time.

And he didn't get to have any sort of reaction cause... well he was always in the middle of something. A mission, a rescue... and now a presidency. He never truly had the privilege to mourn anything.

Oh he hated it.

His agents looked at each other concerned and confused. Sam just pulled himself up and fixed his suit. He took deep breaths, trying to trick himself into thinking everything is okay.

As he stood there, the door behind him opened. He stayed where he was, just staring out the window.

Steve walked in, closing the door behind him. Sam knew it was Steve.

"Sa-"

"Why can't I be happy?" Sam said, beating Steve to the punch. It was a question every hero who was on the brink of disaster asked.

It was a good question, but could Steve answer a question that he has asked? Sam clenched his fists.

"I watched Riley fall out of the sky... I disappeared for years, lost Bucky.. lost my daughter, lost my husband again... now probably permanently...." He turned towards Steve.

"Why can't I be happy...?"

Steve couldn't answer that.

"Hm? No one seems to have an answer."
He chuckled as he sat on the edge of his desk. "I have fought for justice... peace, I've carried that shield, now I am the leader of this nation... and I can't be happy now?"

Tears were welling in Sam's eyes. He was angry.

"Why can't Bucky be happy?" He said as his voice broke. Sam walked towards Steve. Sam clenched his fists.

"Answer me!! Say something!" He yelled.

Steve just walked towards Sam and hugged him tight. Sam struggled for him to let him go. "L-let me go-" he said as tears started to fall.

He pushed and tried to shove Steve away, but eventually gave up. His hands dropped to his side momentarily, before hugging Steve back.

He was just so tired.

He cried out in pain into his shoulder. "It's not fair..."

Steve knew it wasn't. "I know..."

The Hydra base was in shambles. Random patches of fire covered random corners of the base.

There was groan heard beneath the rubble. There was a reason why Bucky Barnes wasn't found. He was at the bottom of the mess.

He coughed , but then hissed in pain. Bucky tried to get up, but had debris on his metal arm, and his leg. He stared at the ceiling as he realized how much pain he was in. Blood dripped down his forehead.

"Shit..."

He heard steps echoing through the ruins. There was more than one. Bucky knew he needed up getting this debris off of him.

He simply stayed still and kept his eyes closed. "Ah there he is..." a Hydra agent said. They started to pull the debris off his leg.

"The boss wants his body..." the other said as they lifted the debris off his arm. Bucky lunged and slammed one to the ground. He kicked the other.

Suddenly another appeared and shocked him. He cringed but the others got back up and kicked him to the ground.

The bashed his head with something. He hit the floor and breathed heavily as everything was off center.

He then heard gunfire. The agents all dropped to the floor. He breathed heavily as he laid on the floor. He saw someone kneel down by him.

"Oh Bucky..." a woman said. He saw red hair. He knew who this was. He reached over. "Romanoff..."

She took his hand into hers. "Hey... I got you."
She pulled him up, she stumbled a bit holding him up but she got used to his weight.

He stared at the ground tiredly. "I- I thought you were-"

"Yeah. A lot of people think that... just wanted to retire a bit early." She said with a chuckle. Bucky chuckled weakly.

"Not a bad idea..."

"I know right. You should try it."

"Dying?" Bucky said a bit confused. She just chuckled a bit. "Damn they hit you hard. No... retire Bucky."

He chuckled a bit and shook his head. "Not yet... gotta wait for sam."

"Ah... I guessed so."