Promise

Bucky and Sam stayed in the Oval Office for a little while longer. Bucky slept on a couch in the Oval Office as Sam closed his phone.

He mustered up a deep breath, as a shaky one escaped him. He glanced at his husband asleep on the couch.

He just got him back, and yet the looming threat of loss hung over him. He walked over to Bucky and gently stroked his cheek with his thumb.

Bucky reached up slowly and held his hand. His eyes opened a little. "Everything okay?"

Bucky asked tiredly. Sam just leaned down and kissed him. Bucky of course didn't object to his husband's affection.

Sam gently held his face as he did. Bucky broke the kiss slightly and just met Sam's gaze.

The two stood there in silence. "You're upset..." Bucky said. Sam chuckled sadly.

"What gave it away..."

"I just know." Bucky said quietly.

"Fallons going to be coming after the avengers... with the intent to kill us." Sam said quietly. Bucky's eyes widened ever so slightly.

"I- why..." Bucky searched Sam's face for an answer. Sam just hugged him tightly. Sam knew... he just didn't want to acknowledge it.

Bucky's arm wrapped around him tightly. Sam was pulled down to where Bucky was. Bucky was tearing up. He couldn't lose his husband.

They didn't want to lose each other.

There was a chance... but they were trying to be positive and stand strong. But... it was getting harder and harder.

Natasha walked into her room and saw Clara sitting by the window. "Clara?"

Clara glanced at Natasha. "Hm?"

"You okay?"

Clara didn't know how to answer. "Do you... do you ever get that feeling like things are going to get worse?" Natasha knew what she was getting at.

"Are you worried about Fallon?"  Natasha said as she pulled a hoodie on. Clara nodded a bit. Natasha knew Clara worried about everything.

She simply knelt down by her and held her hand. "It'll be alright."

Clara just shook her head and looked at her girlfriend. "You can't guarantee that. This world needs Captain America... and if you die..."

Natasha just smiled a small bit. "Clara, don't try and convince me you're worried about the world not having me."

Clara turned her head and looked out the window. "It's okay... you can say what you actually want-"

"What am I supposed to do if I lose you, Natasha?" Natasha carefully held her chin, turning her face towards her.

Clara looked at her captain. Natasha leaned forward and kissed her. Clara kissed her back. "...you won't lose me..." Natasha said as she kissed her.

"Promise me..." Clara said as she closed her eyes, leaning her forehead against Natasha's. 

"Promise..." Natasha said quietly.

"Good."

Sam and Bucky got to the house as everyone was passed out. Sam helped Bucky up the stairs since he was still recovering.

Sam got him into the room. "Okay. Let me get your-"

Sam suddenly was kissed by Bucky. Naturally, he wrapped his arms around his neck. Sam broke it slightly.

"Promise me... we both will get out of this together." Bucky said quietly. Sams heart broke at that. There was no way... he could keep a promise like that.

No one. Bucky looked at Sam, the most broken expression covered his face. Sam just smiled sadly and nodded. "Oh I promise..."

Bucky's expression didn't change. Sam teared up and chuckled. "You don't believe me...?"

"No... no I don't." Bucky said.

"Good."  Sam said as he held his face in his hands gently. "You shouldn't..."

Bucky let his tears fall. "Why are you talking to me... as if you won't make it out..." Bucky said quietly.

Sam smiled sadly and sighed. "Don't think too much about it honey..." Sam said as he walked into their bathroom.

"Sam... you can't say that and then expect me to not think about it." He said as he followed.

"We're heading into an all out war with Fallon, and you're telling me not to worry about it?" Bucky said feeling defeated.

"Bucky... go sit on the couch. I'll be out with your med kit." Sam said as he searched for a med kit frantically.

"Sam.. no. We need to talk about this before it's too late." Bucky said starting to get anxious about the situation.

Sam slammed the cabinet door shut and looked at Bucky.

"I am the President of the United States, I am the previous Captain America, and I was an avenger. I am one of the main players in his plan...I am his target. " Sam said.

"How do you know-"

"I was there when his kids died." Sam said.

Bucky went silent. "I didn't realize what we were doing until it was too late." Sam held his neck as he looked at Bucky.

"He..." Sam dropped his hands to his side.

"He will come for me. And Bucky... I'm sorry... you can't protect me this time."

Bucky looked as if he saw a ghost. He looked at if his heart was destroyed in front of him.

Sam had never acknowledged his role in this like he is now. Bucky sat on the floor by the bed. Sam sighed and walked over and sat besides him.

"I'm going to protect you... anyways." Bucky said.

"Bucky-"

"Sam I don't care..." he said as he looked at him. Sam met his  gaze.

"I would fight the almighty just to have five more minutes with you." Bucky said as he reached for his hand, gently taking it into his.

Sam squeezed his hand tightly.

"Even if those five minute, result in a sad story... I need to be with you." Bucky said making sure Sam understood him.

Sam just leaned his head against his shoulder. He did not dare to let go of Bucky's hand. "And if I die..." Sam said quietly.

Bucky was quiet.

"I'll stay at your grave the longest, so that you have some company." Bucky said quietly, as if making sure his voice wouldn't break out into sobs.

Sam nodded. "Thank you."