Chapter 8

Omkara did not want to deal with this woman twice in the same day. The girl was frowning in recognition. She seemed to shared the same thoughts about him.

The girl bent to pick her phone which had fallen when they collided. Wait a minute, her phone? It was his phone! But how did she get it? 

"How did you get this phone?" Omkara asked, suspiciously. He didn't know what to think. Pickpocketing is rampant all over India, but at the same time this girl had refused his money just this morning. 

"And how is it any of your business?" replied the girl, checking her ridiculous shades for any scratches.

"Its my business because its my phone." replied Omkara, irritated.

Thats made her look up, and then look him up and down. 

"Really? I don't think so because this phone belongs to some Omkara." said the girl, determined not to give him the phone.

"And I am that Omkara." replied Omkara testily.

That stumped her for a moment, but only for a moment. 

"Jata jut Shankarji jaise, neeyat kaale chor ki. Smartphone dekha nahi, ki ban gaye Omkaraji. (Long locks are like Shankarji, but intention is that of a thief. Sees a smartphone and claims himself to be Omkaraji). I told you that this phone belongs to Omkara, and you agreed. You think I'll fall for that so easily. If you are really Omkara, then tell me one of his brother's name." she enquired of him

Omkara's patience was wearing thin. "I have two brothers, one is Shivaay and one is Rudy. Shivaay is married. The name of his wife is..." Before he could finish, Gauri cut in," Annika bhaujaai, I know." She looked disappointed that he was correct and now she would've to return the phone to him.

"The three of them are really worried. You should speak to them. Even if you lost your phone, you could've informed using the PCO. They've been calling since morning...." she wanted to go on, but this time Omkara cut in. 

"You talk a lot! And you spoke to all my family members?" he was curious.

"Yes, its our fundamental right to express ourselves, and I exercised it. Thats what people do when they get a phone call, they answer it." she tried to snub him.

"Listen, please just return my phone and let me go." Omkara almost pleaded, he just wanted this day to get over.

"Haan, so take it, what would I do with it." she said handing him the phone with a huff, and walking off with her mother, murmuring something like.."paagal chirota (mad boy)" which sounded a lot like his criticism. 

Omkara felt his headache returning. 

*******************************************

Gauri returned home with her Maa in high spirits. However, the sight awaiting incensed her. 

Her chaachi-chaachi were sitting on the sofa, counting piles of notes, an expression of ugly greed on their faces. To see them sitting over so much money, and yet refusing to help her mother in the hospital, triggered Gauri. But another thought struck her. How did they get their dirty hands on so much cash? They did no work, apart from taunting Gauri and her mother. So did they sell something? But what did they possess of such value, that would fetch them so much money? Worry replaced anger in Gauri's mind.

"How did you get so much money? What did you sell?" Gauri questioned them ferociously. 

"Smart girl, cut to the chase. We sold you." replied her chaachi, laughing away.