Chapter 80

Gauri was pondering on the same question since last night. She asked her beloved Shankarji to show the way. As she finished her morning prayers, she thought she might as well ask Omkaraji, hoping that he will not be triggered.

"Om...Omkaraji?" Gauri called him. Om just came out of his bath.

"Yes?" 

"Do you mind if I ask you something....about Sultana?" said Gauri, apprehensive that he would fly into a rage.

Omkara frowned. Svetlana wasn't the first thing he wanted to think or talk about in the morning. But since Gauri had done nothing but help him since she arrived back in Mumbai, especially yesterday when she defended him, he couldn't just dismiss her questions. 

Omkara nodded. 

"Omkaraji, why is Sultana doing this?" Gauri straightaway came to the main issue.

"What do you mean?" asked Omkara puzzled.

"Why is she hell bent on becoming an Oberoi bahu? Yesterday, setting up that officer against you, wasn't to get you trapped in some fake case. She knows there was no proof for that imaginary story she fed that Dhurindhar. The police wouldn't even take notice of such things. The only thing she could have achieved was put our marriage under scanner, which is done, and ultimately expose our marriage as fake. She is doing this so that she can marry you. Why is she hell bent on marrying into the Oberoi family?" asked Gauri.

"What do you mean? Well, not to boast, but being an Oberoi bahu means a lot of money and power" snorted Omkara.

"No, money she could have got by scamming your family too. Power....yes, that could be a good reason. But there are other rich men she can trap for that. No, I get this feeling that she wants to ruin your family, but why? Does your family have any connection with her?" asked Gauri curiously. 

"Not that I can think of. But, I don't know power and money seems a good enough motive for me" said Omkara

"But Omkaraji..." said Gauri, only to be cut-off by Omkara

"Thats enough, please, I don't want to talk about her. I am a simple man, I believe what I see, and to me it looks like she wants to marry into this family for a share in the property. Forgive me, I, unlike you, don't like or believe in delving into what compels a person into doing something. Maybe you can fathom why Svetlana is doing what she is doing, after all you were also ready to marry a...." Omkara stopped realizing what he said, what he implied. 

He just compared Gauri to Svetlana. 

Gauri's eyes turned glassy. She picked up her bag and left for work. 

Omkara sighed, he shouldn't have said that. After all, who knows why Gauri did or did not do in Bareilly? And after all the help, she had given him. Omkara rued himself, for never having a control on his temper, especially since his mother's suicide attempt. With all the unpleasantness and troubles Svetlana was making his family go through, he had just become a ticking bomb, ready to explode at the slightest provocation, Svetlana's name was enough to set him off. 

Gauri was hurt. After all the time they had spent together, he thought so lowly about her. Gauri knew that he didn't trust her, but that he actually compared her to that woman. Did he think there was no difference between her and that Sultana? After all this time, this is what he thought of her all along. Gauri sighed. 

The best thing for her now, would be to put her plan into action and get rid of that Sultana from the Oberois' life. The sooner this happens, the sooner Omkaraji would be free of her, and she of him.