Chapter 51

Tej and Jahnvi returned to the Oberoi mansion, after seeing off Priyanka. It was two days since that dramatic Sangeet, where Kamini, Ranveer and the Mahi were exposed. Kamini and Mahi were still eluding police capture, while Ranveer was facing an inquiry and indefinite suspension. 

Priyanka had gone through a tough ordeal, for over months, from Ranveer's blackmail about the accident to the almost-forced wedding. Though she tried to reassure everyone that she is fine, her nervous condition was not. Jahnvi suggested that Priyanka attend a meditation and Art of Living camp in Kerala for for ten days. She had heard a lot about the place, helping people with deal with stress and emotional baggage. Dadi, who herself attended a lot of similar camps in India, seconded Jahnvi. So, Jahnvi packed Priyanka's bags to drop her at Kerala. Surprisingly Tej offered to come with them. Though Jahnvi was not in favor of that idea, seeing Priyanka's immediate enthusiasm at the idea, she gave in. She and Tej accompanied Priyanka in the flight to Thiruvananthapuram and then settled her in the camp. 

They didn't speak a word to each other on the way back, though they had communicated cheerfully when Priyanka was with them. As Jahnvi walked to her room, she called out Tej.

"Tej, thank you for coming with Priyanka. It means a lot to her." said Jahnvi, grudgingly.

"You don't have to thank me Jahnvi, Priyanka is my daughter too." said Tej, hoping Jahnvi would relent. 

"It took you many years to remember that fact, the fact that you have kids who might want your affection." said Jahnvi. Jahnvi knew that she was being a little unfair. Tej had always taken interest in his children's lives, maybe not so much in Omkara and Rudy's, but he did care for Priyanka. However, he didn't fare well when compared to what other parents did for their kids. 

Jahnvi went inside the room, and shut the door on Tej's face. Tej sighed. He knew she was right. He also knew that he would probably never earn her, or his kids, affection, but he was not going to give up. Maybe...maybe like Priyanka, Rudra would also slowly care to love for him. Om....no, Omkara would always hate him, and he had good reason to do so. As Tej was thinking all this, he saw Shivaay passing by the corridor. 

"Shivaay." Tej called him

"Yes, Bade Papa." said Shivaay. Shivaay always treated Tej with respect, whatever his feelings might have been towards his uncle for ruining Jahnvi and his brothers lives. 

"Shivaay. Thank you, and sorry." said Tej, a little ashamed. 

"Why Bade Papa?" asked Shivaay confused. 

"For taking care of my daughter and saving her from Ranveer." said Tej

"Bade Papa, Priyanka is my sister. Maybe you think only real siblings are true siblings, but I have always loved OmRu and Prinku like my own siblings." said Shivaay with emotion, and a little hurt that Tej felt the need to thank him.

"No Shivaay. I know your love for your brothers and sister is genuine. I'm grateful because you and Om, took care of Prinku when it should have been my responsibility. You helped Omkara come out of addiction, you almost brought Rudra up, you and Om exposed Ranveer, when all the while I have been the absentee father in my kids lives. I apologize for not being there for Prinku, and I thanked you, because you took up the mantle of the eldest of the family, when, as the eldest son of the family it should have been my duty to look after my family. I have neglected my duties and responsibilities for far too long." said Tej, shamefacedly 

Shivaay didn't know what to say to that. What Bade Papa said was true. The elders of the family had always been too involved in their petty fights and other issues, leaving the responsibility of keeping the family together on the younger generation, especially Shivaay who was the eldest. But to agree with Bade Papa on his face would be too mean.