Chapter 44

Omkara had called Prinku and told her to meet up with Ranveer in the evening, but inform him about it only in the afternoon. Prinku sounded extremely worried about how she was going to achieve this. She didn't want to ask Ranveer for anything, in fact, she seemed positively petrified of thinking of going to his house, but after much convincing she agreed to follow Om's directions. When she asked Om what was he getting at, Om refused to explain, mostly because he didn't know the entire plan himself. 

God knows, what strange nonsense had Chulbul cooked up in his head. First, stealing those mangoes, then lying to a school Principal, that too a Father, and now breaking into a police officer's house; Chulbul seemed determined to make a criminal out of Omkara. Omkara, who couldn't even lie properly, was being made party to all these illegal activities. That little monkey! 

Omkara thought all this as he drove to Chulbul's chawl. Since, Ranveer lived in Oberois side of the city, it was Omkara who had to travel to the other side of Mumbai. Coincidentally Chulbul lived in his family's side of the city, near that temple, where his mother claimed to have met her source of confidence.  

Omkara honked his car as he reached Chulbul's chawl compound. Chulbul came rushing outside and got inside the car quickly. 

"Lets go!" he squealed with enthusiasm.

"We are not going out for a picnic, Chulbul. We are on a serious mission, and you still haven't told me the complete plan?" asked Omkara, as he started the car. 

"Arey, if I tell you now, saara mazaa kirkira ho jaayega (all fun will be spoiled)" said Chulbul. "Drive faster, we've to make sure that we reach a little before your sister does." 

Omkara knew it was no point arguing with the kid, so he pushed the accelerator. Here he was worried about his sister's life, and Chulbul was talking about fun. Omkara just shook his head, saving his scolding for later.

They reached Ranveer's neighborhood. Chulbul asked Omkara to park his car, a little away from the neighborhood to avoid suspicion. Omkara did so. Then they stealthily walked around the perimeter of the neighborhood, until they reached the compound wall right adjacent to Ranveer's house. 

Chulbul could have easily scaled the wall, supporting on the branches twirling in the cracks of the wall, but for safety sake and because she doubted Omkara's capability to climb the wall, she got a rope with herself. Chulbul climbed the wall first, asking Omkara to hold the rope, which was tied around Chulbul's jacket. Once, she managed to climb down on the other side, she tugged the rope to let Omkara know that he should climb up as well. 

Omkara was having major misgivings about this plan, but short of leaving Chulbul stranded on the other side, he had no option so he climbed up, using the rope, and climbed down, with an extremely disgruntled expression on his face. 

"Great, now we'll break in through the back door, I think I can see a car riding up to the front, look is that your sister's car?" Chulbul asked.

Omkara nodded. "Great." Chulbul whispered. Slowly they made their way to back door of the house. As expected the door was locked from inside. 

"And how are we going to get in?" mocked Omkara.

"Have faith." said Chulbul. He took a string of thread and a hair pin, and started working on the lock. It was the stupidest thing Omkara had ever seen, but he wanted to gloat at Chulbul once the kid failed, so kept his peace. Instead, there was a click and the door came unlocked. Chulbul gave him an annoyingly superior look. 

"Lets go" said Omkara, conceding his unspoken defeat, in an extremely ungracious manner. Chulbul smirked. 

They were inside the kitchen. Omkara had roughly some idea of Ranveer's house, from what he heard Prinku describe it. So, he led Chulbul, and they both tip-toed inside. They could hear Ranveer and Prinyanka talking in the hall. Using that distraction, they both hid in Ranveer's study, next to the bedroom, where supposedly his comatose sister was being treated.