Chapter 21

Gauri looked at wonder at Dandi's house. It was a small, one room house in the chawl, behind the Shiv Mandir. But what held Gauri's attention was the variety of different costumes and props stuffed in the main room of the house. She went ahead and picked out different costumes. 

"Dandi bhaiyaa, this is like some treasure right out of fairytales." said Gauri. 

Dandi was really proud of his collection. As a junior artist in several shows and movies, he had made away with these random costumes and other accessories from his sets whenever they were no longer needed by the production. 

Gauri spotted a police officer's uniform and plastic gun, and immediately pulled that costume over her head, pretending to be Chulbul Pandey from the movie Dabanng

"Arey, tum bhi apun ki tarah Salman bhai ki fan ho? (You are also a fan of Salman like me?)" asked Dandi.

"Bachpan se." (since childhood) replied Gauri, with a smile.

Gauri and Dandi had a good time playacting and imitating Salman from his different movies. 

Next morning, Gauri got up early to leave for work. Dandi too, got up early, since he had a morning shift on shoot. 

"Chalo Gauri, apun tumhe apni favorite chai ke thele pe chai pilaane le jaata hai." (Come Gauri, let me take you to my favorite tea stall for tea)

As Gauri and Dandi sat down to two cups of tea, Gauri told Dandi about her job issues. 

"Dandi bhaiyaa, thankoo for letting me stay over at your place yesterday night. I've found some cheap hostels where I could stay in Mumbai." said Gauri

"Don't be foolish Gauri, I called you my sister, you can stay at my house as long as you want. Anyways, weren't you telling me yesterday night that you have a sick mother who lives back in UP? If you spend all the meagre money you earn, on living expenses here, what will you send her back at home? You came here to make a living for yourself, all alone, in a new city, that's very brave of you. Don't waste your hard money looking for an accommodation in Mumbai, which is anyways very expensive here." said Dandi.

"Thankoo Dandi bhaiyaa, but how can I stay at your place? We both know our relationship is that of a brother and sister, but others would not understand. What would they think of a single girl living in your house?" Gauri asked, thinking back to the mores of her village.

"Gauri, this is Mumbai. Nobody, apart from the rich, has time to care about other's lives. Anyways, the small chawl I live in, is dominated by struggling artists like me. We actors do not care for all stupid notions of the society." said Dandi, with a hint of pride. 

Gauri smiled. It was kind of Dandi to let her stay with him at his place. Moreover, he was right, accommodation was expensive in Mumbai. However, Gauri could not let him pay all the rent and other expenses of the house. If she was going to live there with him, then she would do her bit as well. Gauri decided that she would try to get a permanent job soon, hopefully today. 

***************************************************

"Bade baal vaale bhaiyaa? Aap yahaan?" (You here, long haired brother?) Soumya exclaimed in surprise, as she opened the door early morning, to let in Omkara inside.

After his conversation with Rudy last night, Omkara felt he could not delay meeting Soumya any longer. Anyways, it was bad that he wasn't there at home when she left, and couldn't meet her since he came back from Bareilly. More than Rudy, he felt that Soumya needed someone, after all her only family in Mumbai was his family. 

"How are you Soumya?" Omkara asked with concern, as he sat down on the second-hand sofa Soumya and her flatmate placed in their living room

Soumya wanted to say she was good, but somehow she knew Om bhaiyaa would catch the lie, and anyways he hated lies. So she just sighed sadly. 

Omkara nodded, as if expecting this response. 

"I won't ask you to return, like Shivaay did. I know that if you refused Shivaay, who is the most persuasive in the family, then I have a negligible chance of success. But more importantly, I don't want you to compromise and return only to keep the rest of us happy, when you are still upset with Rudy, and rightly so. You have every right to be angry with him, and all that transpired after the video leak. Until he has really earned his forgiveness, I would now want you to return to Oberoi mansion half-heartedly for our sake." said Omkara

Soumya, so overwhelmed at Omkara's understanding, hugged him sideways, and couldn't control the noisy sobs that escaped her.

"Its alright, let it all come out." said Omkara as he patted her shoulder. "I may not be able to come close to your brother's place, Soumya, and I don't even want to. I just want you to know that your bade baal vaale bhaiyaa, is always there for you, whenever you need someone to talk to. Especially, now that we are outcasts together." 

Soumya smiled at his lame attempt at a joke. Omkara, though unsmiling, look relieved that Soumya seemed marginally light-hearted now. After all, it was true, they both were no longer occupants of the Oberoi mansion. 

Soumya guessed that Rudy might have told Om bhaiyaa about what happened at college.

"Do you think I was too harsh with Rudy, and I shouldn't have said all those bitter words?" asked Soumya.

"No, Soumya. I think you were right in telling him what you did. Rudy needs to know that he has to grow up sometime. After all nothing remains the same forever." said Omkara sadly.

"I am so sorry about what happened, bhaiyaa." said Soumya, genuinely feeling sorry for Omkara's current predicament. 

"Don't be, Soumya. One has to do what one has to do. You were there, you saw my mother burning. I can't let that happen again. If my joining the business and bowing down to Mr. Oberoi's wishes saves my mother, then I'm ready."  said Omkara

"I understand that bhaiyaa, but why leave the mansion? Maybe if you talked to Pinky aunty, she'll...." started Soumya, but Om cut her off. 

"No, I don't think so. Chhoti Maa is insecure, and rightly so. I, who took no interest in business, suddenly joined it, and my father has made no secret that he wants me to compete with Shivaay. She sees me as Shivaay's rival, his enemy almost. My staying there in the mansion, will only fuel her insecurities and suspicions. She might even become bitter towards my mother, and there would be fights and bickering daily. You weren't there Soumya, but before Shivaay got poisoned and hospitalized last year, Chhoti Maa used to fight like anything with my parents. My mother does not have any insecurity regarding Shivaay, she has always loved Shivaay as her own son. But Chhoti Maa has always been like my father, seen us, me and Rudy, as Shivaay's competition, although recognizing at the same time that we both genuinely love our brother a lot. I don't want those fights to start again. So, I think removing myself is the best option." said Omkara.

Soumya realized that there was some truth to this. And in any case, she didn't see how she could help the situation, being an outsider herself now. 

They chatted for a while about college and how Om is coping with the world of business. 

"I have to leave now Soumya. Today is Shivaay's wedding with Tia." said Omkara, shaking his head at the nonsense. Soumya understood that this must be some plan of Shivaay bhaiyaa and Annika bhaabhi to expose Tia. She nodded her head in understanding. 

"You take care Soumya, and never hesitate to call me for anything. Even scolding and hitting my kid brother, in fact, especially for that." said Omkara.

Soumya smiled in reply and wished him good luck with his business endeavors. 

P.S. I know these chapters are short and dragging a bit, but I want to add some depth to the characters and develop them individually, exclusive of the romance. :-)