Chapter 60

Kali Thakur didn't want to admit to himself, but he felt uneasy about the change in Gauri's demeanor. The girl who escaped from his clutches over a month ago, trembled at his touch, and it was pure luck that all her scheming worked in her favor, thanks to those pesky kids and that unwelcome shehri babu (city-dweller). The girl was surely smart, one of the reasons why Kali was so attracted to her, but not unafraid of failure. 

The girl who was sitting next to him for over a day, did not look like that girl. It looked like she didn't feel anything, she was as still as a wax statue. The alarm bells started ringing in Kali Thakur's mind when she didn't struggle or shout like last time, as he chained her legs. He found it strange; last time Kali had held her mother hostage and threatened her to marry him for her mother's safety, last time she should have complied quietly out of fear. But this time, her mother was not in his captive, there was nothing stopping her from escaping, then why wasn't she struggling?

Had she accepted the inevitability of her failure to escape him? God knew, Kali would never stop seeking her, he would search through every nook and corner of heaven and underworld to find her, if she ever escaped. Had she finally succumbed to this truth? Had she accepted that Kali Thakur was her fate, no matter what? Was this silence her submission? 

They reached the haveli after more than a day of travel. Kali Thakur got down and pulled down Gauri from the jeep. 

Here gestured one of his servants, accompanied by a maid. He addressed the female servant and ordered, "Take the future mistress of this haveli, to her room. Help her refresh, we are all tired after so much travel. Your mistress should not lack for anything. Tomorrow we have a havan (sort of prayer where there is a ritual burning of offerings such as grains and ghee) in the haveli, and the after that is our wedding. Pretty up your mistress for that." 

Gauri looked at Kali Thakur at the mention of the word wedding. It was the first time she actually looked at him. He could see a shadow of fear, but much more overwhelming was the rage in her eyes. 

Kali Thakur's feeling of unease increased. 

*******************************

Omkara was pushing a lot of thoughts to the back of his mind, and trying to focus only on the task in hand. His friend in the police, informed him that they had traced Kali Thakur's jeep, but by the time they could stop them, he crossed Maharashtra border and they had no jurisdiction beyond the state of Maharashtra. They could contact the Madhya Pradesh police and tell them to follow up on Kali Thakur, but Omkara refused further help. 

Omkara was sorely tempted to take Shivaay's aid. Just take Khanna and a few bodyguards, and the matter would be resolved. But Omkara knew something about Kali. Kali Thakur made a point of flaunting his 'jewels' as he liked to call it. Gauri was his prized possession. He wanted to be envied by everyone in his area, the undisputed overlord of his zila. He would not have his way with Gauri and dispose of her. 

No. He would make an example of her. The girl who dared to fool Kali Thakur? His authority would be questioned, especially with his brothers in prison, thanks to the Oberois power. Kali would take Gauri back and show the entire village what happens when someone tries to mess with him, tries to escape. After all, he came all the way to an alien city and beat up Dandi in front of his entire chawl, when he could have easily abducted  Gauri at night or when she was outside the chawl, without anyone being any wiser. 

No, Kali Thakur had penchant for displaying his strength. If he couldn't resist this opportunity in Mumbai, one of the largest metropolis in India with one of the most efficient police forces, then surely he was going to do something similar when he returns home. 

That was what Omkara didn't want to think about. The punishment awaiting Gauri when she reached Bareilly. He looked out of the train window as he thought all this. Omkara hoped that he would reach sooner than Kali, as he was taking the train, but the train kept delaying due to some issue or the other. Kali already had a head start on him. 

Om just hoped he reached in time. He didn't want to think of the alternative. 

*****************************

Rudy was frantic. When would the troubles cease? His mother had just recovered from an accident and now his brother went missing. 

The last time he spoke to his brother was yesterday morning. It was evening now and there was no sign of his brother. What angered Rudy further was that he wouldn't have even known that Om was missing, if his parents had not called him up. He hated the fact that Om had left the mansion, and become more of a recluse. He hardly knew what his brother was up to. 

This afternoon his mother called him up to ask his brother's whereabouts. Within half an hour of that his father called him to enquire the same. Both refused to say why they were sounding so anxious and worried. Later, Khanna told Rudy that a friend of his, in the Mumbai police force, gave him inside news that Om was tracing some vehicle from another city, and the matter involved a girl. That is what amazed Rudra the most. Om was the last person one would imagine who had to do anything with a girl. The only girl in his life, apart from the women in his family, was Riddhima, and after she betrayed him spectacularly, Om avoided girls altogether. 

Where the hell was his elder brother? Why were his parents sounding so worried out of the blue and looking for him? 

Rudy heard a knock on his door. He opened the door to see Soumya standing there. 

Rudy didn't think, he just hugged her. He needed his friend, and that was that. 

Soumya hugged him back uncertainly. "Rudra, what's wrong?" 

Rudra drew back and let go of her. "Its O, Sumo. He seems to have disappeared on some wild goose chase. Mom and Dad are worried for him, separately of course. Something must have happened because they seemed anxious to find him. And now I come to know that it must be about a girl." said Rudra, clutching his head in confusion. 

"I'm so worried Soumya. Ever since Mom tried to attempt suicide, O has been on the edge, almost unhinged. Not only has he withdrawn into himself, more than usual, he has also moved away from us, his brothers. He chose to confide his troubles in a stranger kid, who turned out to be nice nonetheless, but he hid that from me and Shivaay bhaiyaa for years. He has become a little unhinged, and I don't know whether we can trust him to make right choices." said Rudy

Soumya understood what Rudra said, but she didn't agree with one point. "Rudra, no doubt you are right. Bade Baal vaale bhaiyaa was gone through a lot, with all betrayals and skullduggery one after the other. People do take questionable decisions during such times. But I also think you are wrong in one aspect. Your brother would never do anything that is wrong. This is Omkara bhaiyaa we are talking about, he will always side with what is just and right, come whatever, this man would not compromise on his principles. So, I am assured that he would never knowingly do something that would hurt anyone." 

Rudra nodded. "I guess you are right. I just want to know where he is." 

"Why don't you take Bade Bhaiyaa's help?" asked Soumya

"Shivaay bhaiyaa is busy in some work, and in any case both Mom and Dad categorically told me to not bother Shivaay bhaiyaa with it, maybe they don't want to disturb him." mused Rudy

"Or maybe they have finally woken up to the fact that they ought to be there for their kids." whispered Soumya, in an undertone. 

Rudra heard her, nonetheless, but pretended not to hear. He didn't want a petty argument with Soumya for low-key insulting his parents. Especially, when a tiny part of his heart told him that she was right. It was Shivaay bhaiyaa and Om who had brought up Rudy and Prinku. Their father was more of a monetary sponsor for his kids, while their mother, though always invested in their lives and giving them love and affection, was more devoted to her demon bottle for years.