Chapter 75

Omkara woke early, much earlier than he usually did, and the reason was immediately apparent to him. He was clutching Gauri's hand in his sleep. It was strange, the vast distance between them, yet their hands holding each other for support in the middle of the bed. He saw Gauri shifting, and immediately shut his eyes. 

Gauri always woke up early and today was no exception, the only different thing was the she was holding someone's hand in her sleep. She was holding Omkaraji's hand. Gauri jerked awake and half sat up as she realized this. Shankarji, this was so embarrassing! Gauri saw that he was still sleeping. Good, thought Gauri, at least he won't get to know. Gauri carefully extricated her hand from his, so that he won't wake and rushed to the bathroom. 

Omkara stopped feigning sleep. He was as embarrassed as her, more because he didn't understand his attitude yesterday. Why was he throwing tantrums yesterday, low-key demanding that she trust when he did not trust her? That was selfish of him, and he mentally chided himself for his stupidity. Now, what will she think of him? 

This marriage was more of a headache than he thought it would be. Yesterday night he was visited again by terrible memories of the time he spent in rehabilitation. His months in rehab were the worst, and he had to struggle hard to rid himself of his drug addiction. After he was clean, Omkara, with Shivaay's support, went to Art school in London, much against his father's wishes. Riddhima also did her environmental studies degree there, and they both got into a live-in relationship. His father didn't approve of his art school nonsense, as he called it, but he was okay with Riddhima, as she was from a respectable, rich family of socialites. 

Omkara was happy about that, but little did he know that his father would later take Riddhima's aid in conspiring against Shivaay, through Omkara. Om didn't realize that Riddhima's betrayal went that deep, but it had to, after all they were together for many years. The emotional scars had faded away but his psyche was pretty much disturbed after that. Who could he trust? And when he ventured to trust Chulbul, it turned out that had been a lie too. Yet, here he was last night holding the hand of the same person who lied to him, seeking comfort. 

As Omkara was thinking all this, Gauri stepped out of bath all ready, and went straight to pray to her Shankarji. Maybe everything was a farce, but for some reason Omkara believed that Gauri's devotion was real. He shook his head, and went to the bathroom. 

Gauri thought that she had missed many days of work since Friday. Majmudaarji had been very lenient with her till now, but this time he had good reason to be angry. She better go back to work today and make up for all the days she missed. After all, she owed Omkaraji a huge amount of money for her mother's operation which she might never be able to repay. God knows, she hated being indebted to anyone who wasn't her family or friend. Apart from her mother, she only considered Richa, Dandi bhaiyaa and those kids as her own. Even though Omkaraji said she didn't owe him anything, fact is that she did owe him, her life and her mother's life as well. At least, she should start working on paying back for her mother's operation. 

Gauri got her handbag ready, and counted the notes she had. Her temple workplace was really far from here. She would have to spend money on travel as well. Gauri sighed, she will have to find out the buses which ply on the route. She saw Omkaraji coming out from the bathroom, should she tell him where she was going? But she didn't owe him the truth, or information, they weren't really married. And he might get annoyed with her if he perceives her as asserting her rights and duties. Gauri slung her handbag over her shoulder and exited the room. 

She left without telling me, thought Omkara. But then again, she wasn't obligated to tell him where she was going. This wasn't a real marriage. It was a play put on for Svetlana. And Svetlana had seen it. Now in a few days, Gauri would be free of him, and he would be free of her. Then why should he bother with where she was going? He should rather focus on his work, which he had neglected since last Friday.