Chapter 183

Omkara could see things getting out of control, like sand slipping through his hands. 

How did situation come to this? 

One moment, he thought that even though clumsy, his plan was work, though he didn't exactly know what his plan was. He thought he was well on way to convincing Gauri about his feelings. 

But to borrow Annika bhaabhi's words, 'raita phail gaya' (raita spreading over everything, all his efforts)

Why did Gauri agree to this? 

She was meeting Ajay's family today, this morning, to formally receive his wedding proposal. 

But just a few days back Gauri had confessed her feelings to him. Then, why?

Was it Annika bhaabhi's sister, who was showing up now? 

Om remembered how almost a year ago, Annika bhaabhi accepted Daksh's marriage proposal because Shivaay was marrying Tia. Shivaay and Annika bhaabhi probably acted more from ego, or what they fondly referred to as tadi.

But Gauri wasn't like that, was she? She wasn't a tadibaaz. 

Did she accept to meet Ajay, out of anger for what Omkara had put her through? Or maybe out of sorrow? 

That could be a better explanation, and if that was true, then it was only himself that Omkara could blame for this happening. 

Or there could be a third reason. Maybe Gauri was doing this out of pressure, so that her friend's wedding could happen without any glitch. That made sense, Gauri would sacrifice her joy, to keep others happy. 

So, what should he, Omkara, do now? Pack his bags and leave? No, not so soon, no so easily. 

Then? Reveal himself, and beg for forgiveness? Yes, but right now, when it seemed that Gauri was willfully ignoring the 'Omkara' she could see in Dilpreet? Maybe it was not the right time yet. Then what should he do? 

Watch his wife accepting another man's proposal, it seemed. 

Gauri's face was arranged in a careful mask of cordiality. 

She had promised her friend that her wedding would go without any disruption, and so it would be. 

Yesterday she had made up her mind to expose Omkaraji's lie, and confront him on what was his motive behind the entire Dilpreet facade. 

That was before this Ajay named problem fell on her head. Now she could see his greedy eyes boring into her face, as his family came to her house this morning to officially ask for Gauri's hand.

"Behenji, what's the rush? Let us first get Richa and Mukesh's wedding done, then we'll think about Ajay's proposal" said Gauri's mother, trying to extricate her daughter from this position.

"Its alright Maa. Ajay ji is Mukesh ji's brother, he must be a good person like him" said Gauri politely. 

Ajay was glad, his plan seemed to be working. He knew girls like Gauri, they were the traditional sort who wouldn't let a man hover around them without the promise of matrimony. 

"But there is only one problem, my sister is in London, with Jijaji. They are vacationing there. They won't return to India before Diwali, and I'm sure this family doesn't want to deprive them of participating joyfully in my marriage?" said Gauri carefully.

Ajay's mother's eyes popped. Gauri's sister was married into a rich family. This could be a advantageous situation for her family. Her son Mukesh, chose that poor girl Richa, who won't be getting any dowry with her. But this Gauri, she comes for money. It would be wise to wait for her sister to return. She will definitely shower a lot of wealth on her younger sister's wedding.