Chapter 189

The meadow floor was strewn with daisies, geraniums and other flowering plants. A light breeze was blowing, slightly caressing the tall grasses of the meadow. A girl was sitting on the swing, a boy standing behind her. The boy pushed the swing, and girl went up in the air. Short lengths at first, slowly reaching higher. The girl laughed, her long ebony hair flying out behind her. The boy chuckled at her delight, pushing her higher. Then quite suddenly, the girl rose too high in the air, and left the swing behind. It seemed like she took a leap of faith, and her white clothes transformed into wings. She became a bird, with long wings, and flew away. Away from the boy who was left behind, calling out after the girl, the bird, crying as he ran after the bird, trying to bring her back......

Omkara woke up from the dream, his forehead sweating. 

He looked outside his window, dawn was breaking through the sky. 

It was just dream, in reality the girl had left the boy long ago, she had walked away from him many days ago, but today was the day he would stop chasing her. 

He would give up, because she asked him to, because that was her wish, and her wish was his command. 

******************************************

"You look upset, Gauri" asked Richa. 

They were rubbing their palms together, to dust off the dry mehendi residue. They had left the mehendi to dry overnight, after retouching it with lime water and oil.

"Look Richa, your mehendi has come out so dark. That means Mukesh ji loves you a lot" giggled Gauri, trying to distract Richa from her question.

"Yours is dark too, in fact, darker than mine. That might be because I have heard that mehendi's color actually signifies how much your mother-in-law loves you, and everyone knows about my mother-in-law" Richa rolled her eyes. 

Gauri smiled weakly. 

Of course, her mother-in-law loved her. Except that Jahnvi Maaji, was not her mother-in-law, and would never be. 

But whoever is married into the family as her daughter-in-law, would be so fortunate. Gauri indulged in a moment of self-pity. She wished the situation was different.

"I better get ready. There is work to do. Not you, this is your day. You pamper yourself, and order me" laughed Gauri. 

Richa giggled too. 

************************************

The rest of the day went in the last minute preparations. 

Richa's uncle had set up the wedding pandal (a sort of tent house) in the open ground a few paces away from Richa's neighborhood. The whole neighborhood was lighted up like a bride. 

"You looked sad" said Omkara, coming behind Gauri, as she was supervising the bhog (a sort of lunch organized by the bride's family). 

"Its nothing" said Gauri. 

"Hmm...Richa is marrying a person who she likes and respects, she will be happy, don't worry" said Omkara.

"I wasn't thinking about her. I was entertaining some rather selfish thoughts" said Gauri. 

"Selfish? I don't believe that" said Omkara.

"Richa was thinking about her future mother-in-law this morning. I was wondering Soumya and whoever you marry in future, are going to be so lucky, they are going to have Jahnvi maaji as their mother-in-law" sighed Gauri.