Chapter 43

Soumya and Rudy were in library in between their classes revising as usual. Soumya noticed that Rudy seemed a little occupied and lost today. 

"What's up Rudra? Is something bothering you? You seem a little unfocused today?" Soumya asked.

"Umm...nothing. Actually, yes, its Shivaay bhaiyaa. You know he went out-of-city for some business related work, but ever since he's come back he's behaving oddly." said Rudra

"Oddly? How?" asked Soumya

"Oddly, in sense, like you know how much I hug my brothers to annoy them. Shivaay bhaiyaa would get annoyed but in a playful way, but yesterday it was just as if he really wants to get rid of me. There's also the other stuff, I think Annika bhabhi felt it too, I can't really explain." said Rudra

"Maybe there is some issue in business, that's bothering him. You know the financial year ends on the end of March. So maybe he has to sort out accounts and all that stuff, look at annual reports and everything." mused Soumya.

"Yeah maybe you are right. But I can't help feel that there is some chasm between us brothers ever since O left the mansion due to the deal with Dad and Chhoti Maa." Rudra sighed. "I don't when everything will be like before. Only a month has passed since O's contract, and I feel like we brothers have been separated for years." 

Soumya looked sad too, hearing this. 

"Oh shit! Sumo, I'm so sorry, how callous my words must've sounded to you, when you miss your brother...." stammered Rudy, apologetically. 

"Its okay Rudra, you said without thinking, and I get your point, I totally understand why you miss your brothers and your bond." said Soumya. 

Rudy tried to change the topic. 

"How was your date with Rehan yesterday?" he asked, trying not to sound too curious. 

"I won't like to call it a date, I mean, we are not that serious, yet." said Soumya, haltingly, as if she didn't want to talk about Rehan and her relationship. 

Yesterday Rehan had tried to hold her hand while they were watching the film, and for some reason Soumya found it really awkward, so she made some excuse and left the sofa, to get a coke. She didn't understand why, she was in a relationship with Rehan before, they used to hug and everything. Then why was it awkward now? 

Soumya thought back to this, when Rudy asked her about her 'date'. She really didn't want to discuss her 'date' with Rudy.

"We are taking it slow this time, you know twice before we sort of broke up, so we don't want to mess it up again." said Soumya, hoping to end the topic here.

"Oh, well, third time's the charm" said Rudy, offhandedly, making Soumya feel irritated for some reason. 

"Have you finished your term-end assignments?" asked Soumya, changing the topic.

"Term-end assignments?" asked Rudy, as if he had never heard of the thing before.

"Assignments which we have to turn in before the end of this month, which count for twenty-five percent of our grades." Soumya explained. 

"Oh bete ki!" said Rudy, imitating his Annika bhaabhi. "Soumya, I didn't know these even exist. And I have to do for all subjects. Sumo, you've got to help me." Rudy panicked as he said this.

"Honestly, Rudy how did you manage school and college up till now?" said Soumya, exasperated.

"However I did, this time, I need your help." said Rudy, still panicking over them.

"Relax, lets start working on them." said Soumya.

********************************************************

Omkara was waiting for Chulbul at their usual meeting place by the rocks. Chulbul came after a while, giving furtive looks for some reason.

"Hey Chulbul, how are you?" asked Om genially.

"I'm fine, I'm fine." said Chulbul looking down for some reason

"And how was your Sunday? What did you do?" asked Om

"How does it matter? Lets get to some planning, shall we?" said Chulbul sounding irritated.

"We will but I want to know how was your day?" asked Omkara puzzled.

"Why? Why do you want to know?" asked Chulbul

"Because you are my friend." said Omkara simply, sounding a little taken aback that Chulbul would ask this. 

Gauri sighed. She didn't want to be friends with Omkara. She didn't want him to consider her his friend, and by betrayed that she had played him all this while about who she was. But he was also being nice, and Gauri didn't know how to fight with nice men. She could rally against evil men like Kali Thakur, bulldoze Omkara's car when he was being mean to her, but she didn't know how to fight against goodness. Gauri could only be good to good people, like Dandi Bhaiyaa. And Omkara was a good man. 

"My Sunday was normal. I joined open school for people who can't go to regular school, or couldn't complete their education for some reason. So, I had my classes yesterday." said Chulbul

"That's great Chulbul, you should definitely complete your education. Whats your favorite subject?" asked Omkara. 

"Maths." said Chulbul

Omkara was never fond of that subject, all those numbers, and figures, and figuring out what was 'x', but he didn't say that to Chulbul.

"Anyways, so I have a plan." said Chulbul

"Of course you do." said Om, smiling slightly

"Your sister said she saw her future sister-in-law in coma at her fiancee's house right? Tell your sister to call him up tomorrow afternoon, and say that she is coming to his home to meet his sister. Your future brother-in-law cannot refuse without looking guilty. Meanwhile, we'll sneak into his house from the backside, while he's letting your sister in, and wait for her to leave. Then we'll see what happens." said Chulbul, his eyes fixed on a point next to Omkara's shoulder, with an extremely calculative expression on his face.

"But what are we hoping to achieve Chulbul? And how do you plan to break into a police officer's house? You do know that's breaking the law, don't you?" said Om, a little horrified at Chulbul's plan.

"All that you leave to me. Even if he does catch us, so what? What else can he blackmail you with? And you could always say that you came to meet him or confront him, whichever sounds better at that moment. And why we are doing all this, you'll find out tomorrow." said Chulbul, rubbing his hands gleefully. 

Omkara could think of a hundred things that could go wrong with this plan, but at this moment Chulbul was like his brother, Rudy, too fixated on something to change his course. So, Om just sighed and nodded.

"Okay, fine. Anyways, take this. You said you had no phone, so I've got you a phone and SIM card. This way I don't have to disturb Dandi every time to call you." said Omkara, taking out the phone for Chulbul

Chulbul looked a little offended at this gesture. "Omkaraji, you don't have to buy me expensive phones because I'm helping you." she said

"This is not a payment for your help, Chulbul. This is to help us keep in touch" insisted Om.

"This is just too expensive for me, sorry I can't take this." said Chulbul. "I'll see you tomorrow, you text Dandi bhaiyaa where do you want to meet" , and saying so Chulbul went from there. 

Omkara was perplexed as to what happened. He had bought the cheapest smartphone he could, because he knew that Chulbul and Dandi were proud people, and he didn't want to hurt their feelings. Still, it looks like he did. 

Why was Chulbul seeming so off today?