Chapter 86

Gauri woke up to see her hand held protectively in Omkara's. Again. This was the second time her hand had crossed the distance between and acted out of its own volition.

This has to stop. This is not right.

Gauri extricated her hand carefully so as to not disturb his sleep. She was relieved to realize that she could move about properly now. She got down and placed her feet on the floor gingerly. No pain, no shaking.

Quietly and carefully, Gauri made her way to the bathroom, without any assistance. She bathed and came out of the room to see Omkara was still sleeping. Gauri didn't want to disturb his sleep, but yesterday she needed Nani's help to pray. Today she could do so again, on her own.

Omkara woke up to sound of Gauri's serene voice, which was soon joined by that irritating bell. One day he would dismantle that bell and hide it where Gauri can't find it. Omkara smiled victoriously in his half-conscious state, thinking of that glorious day, but then his smiled turned to grimace when he realized that Gauri, of course, won't be staying here forever. She will leave, and anyways, why would he want her to stay here? He wanted her to heal and then leave, didn't he? He could never trust her completely, right? Then what are these half-formed inane thoughts in the back of his head? No, he better push these thoughts out of his mind. Shaking his head, Omkara got up and went inside the bathroom.

He didn't ask how was I feeling today, he saw me moving about but didn't care to ask, thought Gauri. Maybe his concern was only for two days. Maybe he wants me out of this house, as soon as I recover. Well, then he wouldn't have to wait much for it.

Omkara came after taking a bath to Gauri being fussed over by Nani as usual. As his Nani left, after force-feeding Gauri breakfast enough for two people, he said. "Remember, I said I have to show you something?"

Gauri nodded, looking at him curiously.

Omkara took out his laptop, and set it up. After a few minutes, he turned to her and said, "You were asking about your classes, since you are not well enough to go there, I brought the classroom here, for you."

Gauri still looked perplexed until she saw into the screen and she could see her teacher smiling at her in the classroom. Her eyes went round, and she looked at Omkara.

"This is called skyping. I went to meet your teacher yesterday afternoon, and sought permission from him, so that you could attend classes for one day over Skype" Om explained.

Gauri felt overwhelming gratitude for his thoughtfulness. "Thank you" she replied.

"Oh, and I also met Dandi. He was upset, and I suppose a little disappointed in me for letting you get hurt, but he didn't harp much on that. He insisted that you come and stay with him, now that.....that everything is done. But I said that you are not well enough yet, and Dandi himself has not recovered fully to take care of you. So, you'll be staying with my family for a few days. I know I should have asked you, I'm sorry about that. Are you angry?" asked Omkara

Honestly, Gauri was a little upset that he took decision for her, without talking to her first. She wasn't really married to him, or related to him in any way, but she understood it was out of concern for her.

"I don't like it, but I understand. Just...just don't do it again, not that there will be another situation to call for it, but no" Gauri stammered, looking anywhere but at his face.

Omkara nodded. He knew he had overstepped limits of concern. At the same time, Gauri showed absolutely no reaction at his mention of her leaving, like she was fine with leaving. Well, then so be it.