Chapter 162

"Yes, Malhotra, make sure that they all are present for the service" Shivaay muttered some more instructions on the phone, while having breakfast. 

He was going to the office earlier than usual this week, since he needed to supervise the preparations for the memorial service on the side as well. 

Tej and Jahnvi came down to breakfast, just as Shivaay was about to rise, and leave. 

"Good Morning, Bade Papa, Badi Maa" said Shivaay. 

Jahnvi and Tej greeted back.

"Leaving for office so early, Shivaay?" asked Jahnvi.

"Yes, I have to look into some arrangements for the memorial service as well. Friday is almost here, just two days away. We don't want anything untoward happening like last year, at the Maha-aarti" said Shivaay sounding serious. 

The three of them remembered how some ex-Oberoi employee, Ashok, had set himself on fire, killing himself, bringing a lot of bad press and legal entanglement for the Oberois. 

"Yes, Shivaay, we better be careful about that" said Tej, slowly. 

Shivaay nodded and left.

Jahnvi held her head, and groaned. 

"Tej, what will I do with you?" said Jahnvi. 

"Jahnvi...." started Tej.

"No, don't say a word. Just everything is going right, you have to ruin things like this. Why won't you let me be in peace Tej? Why?" asked Jahnvi. 

"Me? Jahnvi, I want to make things right, you don't think I want us to happy, after all that has happened. I can apologize for my actions, but how can I make up for....you know what" replied Tej, starting to sound angry.

"Just....stop Tej, you disgust me" said Jahnvi, rising from the dining table, and leaving the mansion for work, without eating. 

Tej slammed his fist on the table, after she left, and he too left for work, in frustration. 

Neither of them noticed Omkara standing at the end of the stairs seeing the entire fight play out. Like old times. 

***********************************

Omkara had got up early today, he was eager to finish his paintings, but he knew how lost he got in his work once he started, so decided to grab an early bite before he started on his painting. 

He climbed down the staircase two steps at a time, feeling uplifted about the day. Until he saw Shivaay leaving in a hurry for work, and his parents back to their usual standby. 

Arguing. 

'You disgust me Tej' said his mother.

No surprises there, thought Omkara bitterly, his father disgusted him as well. But what had he done now? Had he.....? 

His father sounded defensive, which was again nothing new, that's what his father had always been: callous, uncaring, insensitive. 

The only difference was that earlier his father would stomp all over his mother's feelings and leave her behind, to drown her sorrows in alcohol. 

This time, she left him behind, and went to work, a marked improvement. While his father, seemed frustrated at her rejection, and finding nothing else to do, left for work, too.

But the point remained that they were still fighting, like before

Omkara was a fool to think that his father might actually change, he didn't trust his father, but his trusted his mother's better judgment. He went against what his brain told him, because his heart wanted to trust his mother, and look what happened. Again his father hurt his mother. Mr. Oberoi would never tire of his wrong ways.