Chapter 131

"I heard what happened in the fields" announced Maithili Dadi quite suddenly, in the dinner table.

Gauri and Omkara were sitting apart from each on the table. Dadi's grandkids were sitting between them. They were discussing about the upcoming pooja and fest on Saturday, and there was sudden silence on the table. 

"I wouldn't have expected any different. But we need to be careful, Raghav's father and his family is not one we want to deal with" remarked Maithili.

"Dadi, if I may, you are rich and powerful too, then why would you be worried about them?" asked Omkara.

"They have the state party's backing behind them. Political gains brings muscle power, and the power to harass businesspersons as well" replied Dadi.

"But don't politics and business go hand in hand? Don't they have to gain a lot from business as well? Its all a give-and-take relationship, isn't it?" said Gauri.

Maithili Dadi looked at her carefully, and weighed her words before speaking.

"That is true. The Patils', Raghav's family, also started out as sugar mill owners like the rest of us important people in this district. However, they branched out into politics as well. And now they get back at their rivals, like my family, by wielding political power to further their business, while simultaneously keeping their competitors in check" explained Dadi.

"Then why don't you join politics too? That will be the simplest solution to counter them, isn't it?" said Gauri.

Dadi smiled. 

"It will be and it has occurred to me many times, but I don't think I am cut out for politics. My late husband abhorred it, the dirty mechanics of it. I don't think I'll be able to deal with it either. More importantly, the Patils have won the MLA elections here for many terms now, father to son, I don't think I can make a dent" said Dadi. 

Before Gauri could interrupt, Dadi continued, "This matter is closed now. We will concentrate on the upcoming events, I hope you are ready for the haul tomorrow and day after?"

Gauri and Omkara nodded, although Om could see that Gauri still looked mutinous. 

Back in their room, Gauri was still thinking about the same thing. 

"Was I wrong in suggesting what I did?" asked Gauri, as she sat on the bed, looking inquiringly at Omkara. 

"No, you weren't" said Omkara, sitting next to her "But this is not our place to say anything. It is their internal matter, they have to deal with it. We got embroiled in the fight today by mistake, we are guests here, Gauri, we have to behave like guests."

Gauri looked like she wanted to interrupt him, but he held one side of her face, and said, "Gauri, we are here to make a good impression, to patch up the two Dadis, how are we going to achieve that if create trouble for our hosts? The coming days are going to be exhausting, lets focus on that instead. You must bursting with excitement, tell me, what do you plan to do?" asked Omkara.

"Oh, Omkaraji, Dadi is going to be so impressed with me, this is totally my forte, I will...." said Gauri, launching into a monologue about how she will have the old lady wrapped around her finger. 

Omkara listened to her, with twinkle in his eyes. Then he realized he was still holding her face. He let go slowly and casually, without making it too obvious, then went to the bathroom to change. 

A while later he was lying down on the bed, holding Gauri's hand between the large distance between them, as the darkness swallowed the room.

Omkara didn't know what brought this change in her, she seemed upset with his words after the incident with those ghost robbers on the highway, but for reasons of her own, she let go of her resentment, and chose to be normal with him once again. For that, Omkara was glad. 

Yuhn Hota Toh Kya Hota- Rikara FFOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara