Chapter 127

There was silence in the car. It was almost a seven hour long journey by car to Kolhapur, even with less traffic on a weekday. It was going to be a tiring journey, thought Omkara, if the silence continues. 

It was over two hours, and Gauri hadn't spoken a word. She was either looking at the phone, or looking outside the window. Omkara had volunteered to drive himself, getting rid of a driver, hoping that they would talk in some privacy, but looked like no chance of that. He thought maybe he should break the silence first, then he remembered Annika bhaabhi's words. 

Yes, bhaabhi's right, I've been trying to have a proper conversation for ages, but Gauri has been avoiding me, then why should I break the silence this time? thought Omkara. 

Gauri on the other hand, was going through another struggle. 

Its a record for me, she thought, I don't think I've stayed quite for this long, ever in my life. Used to chattering for hours on end, Gauri found the silence especially tough. So, she messaged her tutor about missing classes for the next week, and made alternate preparation for studying, through skype. 

Keeping quiet this long is going start hurting me in my stomach. I am getting so bored, thought Gauri, I can't sit aimlessly like this in the car. Maybe she should follow Annika Jiji's suggestion and listen to music. 

"Hum...hum gaane chala le?" (Can I play music?) asked Gauri. 

"Sure" said Omkara stiffly.

Gauri made a face at his tone, but otherwise didn't react, picking up a CD from the pile and trying to fit it in the music player. Omkara asked for the CD and slid it in smoothly in the player. 

The devotional song playing on the player, instantly put Gauri in a good mood, and she started singing along with the song, clapping her hands to the tune.

Omkara on the other hand, was taken aback, looking at her enthusiasm. Gauri has gone into full bhajan mode, he thought. Now what?

Omkara turned off the music.

"Band kyun kiya?" (Why did you turn it off?) asked Gauri surprised. 

"I was thinking.....maybe we could talk?" asked Omkara, tentatively.

"Talk? You want to talk? About what?" asked Gauri, suspiciously. 

"Anything, you say" said Omkara.

"Why should I say?" said Gauri, frowning.

Then why should I either? thought Omkara.

"Let it be, I'll turn on the music" said Omkara. 

Gauri's attention went back to the music, but she also started feeling her stomach grumbling softly. She was hungry. 

Why is she so quiet? Is she hungry? thought Omkara, and saw that he had been driving for close to three hours. It was almost time for lunch. 

"Gauri, are you hungry?" he asked. 

He is asking as if we had feast before we left, thought Gauri. "No" she said stubbornly. 

"Well, I am tired from driving, so I'll just pull over for some time" informed Omkara.

"If you are pulling over, then can we pull over at a dhaba (roadside restaurant)?" asked Gauri eagerly.

"But you just said you are not hungry?" said Omkara.

"I am not but if we are stopping, so can we stop at a dhaba?" insisted Gauri.