Chapter 105

It was the evening of the party.  Being an Oberoi son, Rudra's twenty third birthday party was celebrated with great aplomb. Gauri had seen the functions at the mansion, which were held for Annika bhaujaai and her, so she knew what to expect. 

They had all slept late after Rudra's midnight party yesterday, so they all woke up late, except Gauri. She woke up early and got dressed in Prinku's clothes again. She was staying in Soumya's room, as the truth about her marriage, or the lack of it, was in front of everyone now, so there was no more the need to pretend she and Omkaraji were together. 

"Have you and Bade bhaiyaa sorted out all your differences?" asked Gauri. They were in Annika's room in the morning and the two of them were conversing about all that transpired recently. 

"Well, that we did the evening I came back, when Jahnvi aunty called me. Next day....you know all that happened next day. We came to know that that Mahi was treated like a pawn by that Kamini and Pinky aunty. So Shivaay decided to help him, I think he felt guilty that a person's life was ruined only because he had the luck to look like Shivaay. So, Shivaay released him from police lock up where he was kept after arrest. Shivaay has given him some money and a job in Delhi, so that he can settle down there. I spoke to Mahi, he feels cheated that he was made to think that he is Shivaay's twin when he is a nobody, an orphan like me. He apologized for all he did, I think he has turned a new leaf" said Annika

"Well lets hope so at least" said Gauri.

"I could understand his pain, you know. All these years, at least he thought Kamini was his mother, Shakti uncle was his father. He thought he had a family even though he was unfairly separated from them. But now he is anchor-less again. I understand that feeling" said Annika sadly. 

"Bhaujaai, you are not anchor-less. You have Saahil, and his parents, and now you have this family too" consoled Gauri.

"Saahil parents....they didn't live long after they adopted me. Yes, Saahil is my anchor, in many ways. And this is my family, you are right there Gauri. But still, one always feels a little curious about one's own blood. I never did you know, Gauri, never. I used to tell Shivaay too, to never go seeking my truth. But my recent brush with death.....when I was struggling for life.... I just  thought that if I die now, I might never see her again" said Annika to herself. 

Gauri didn't know who Annika was talking about, so she changed the topic.

*************************** 

In the other side of the mansion, Rudra and Soumya were trying to sneak a moment, but since it was his birthday today, someone or the other was hovering him, or calling him. Rudra managed to pull Soumya in a corner, and hug her to thank her properly for arranging his birthday party. But that hug wasn't to last, as Tej came looking for his son. 

"Rudra beta, I have a present for you" he said simply. Rudra expected that. Every year his father would gift him an expensive car, or some other equally expensive present, and make some underhanded comment about being worthy of these gifts and trying to become as good as Shivaay. But this year, it was none of that. 

"Rudra, these are certain memories" said Tej, handing over Rudra a box, which looked weather beaten to the latter. 

"These papers and statistics and everything, are from the time I joined this business. You know your grandfather established it, but I, your mother and Shakti took it to new heights. One day, it will be you and Shivaay...well, just you both it seems. This box has  not just Oberoi family's history, but I hope something that will help you in understanding business from my journals, and everything. I know you applied for internship with the Ranas. Whether you intern there or somewhere else, or at Oberoi industries itself, I hope these will be helpful for you" suggested Tej like a child, hoping that his treasures would be worthwhile to the one seeing them. "I had saved this all, for my child, my sons when they grow up. Omkara....chose a different path, but I am glad that you can utilize these."