Chapter 188

Gauri had never expected that her best friend's wedding, a happy occasion, would be so difficult for her, would forever be a reminder of the pain that love brings. 

"Gauri beta, Mukesh's mother is sending someone in half an hour with the haldi, have you prepared everything else?" asked Gauri's mother.

"Yes, Maa, everything else is ready" replied Gauri.

"Good. Jo haldi dulhan ko lagti hain, wahi haldi dulhe ko bhi lagti hain (The bride and groom are applied the same haldi). I think Mukesh's mother will send us the haldi after his ceremony is done" said Gauri's mother.

Richa started giggling. 

"Why are you giggling Richa? You are supposed to be shy!" scolded her mother lightly.

Richa made a face behind her mother's back, and beckoned Gauri to her.

"I have heard something interesting. It is said that the bride's unmarried friends who participate in the ritual, get married soon. I'll be sure to rub some haldi on you" said Richa, conspiratorially. 

Gauri rolled her eyes. 

She didn't know whether she would ever marry, at this point. Her life was already feeling......empty. 

"Beta, I think the haldi is here" said her mother. 

Gauri nodded, and collected it from the person sent by Mukesh's family. She was glad Ajay didn't come along, she had enough to deal with, without him adding to the problems. 

Gauri placed the plate where the ceremony was going to take place, and was about to return to her work, when she almost collided with some of Richa's friends, her friends, from Bareilly.

It was an awkward moment. 

Gauri had not done anything wrong so she had no reason to feel conscious, but the other girls lowered their eyes. It was almost eight months since that event which altered the course of Gauri's life forever, yet the wounds were fresh. The evil was gone, but the scar was still prominent. 

Finally, one of them mustered the courage to ask her, hesitantly. "How are you Gauri?" 

"Alive and well, as you can see" said Gauri, but her voice sounded contemptuous to herself. 

"Please, let us all forget what happened for these two days, for Richa. Enjoy" Gauri was relieved that she didn't sound sharp anymore, just cordial, which was the most she could manage anyways. 

The group of girls seemed to want to say something, but before they could, Richa's mother asked them to gather around for the ceremony. 

Omkara watched from afar, he felt conscious being part of what was prominently a female-dominated event. All the ladies, one by one, applied haldi to Richa. First the married ladies, then the unmarried ones. 

There was some slight debate whether Richa and Gauri's mothers, who were widows, should participate in this ceremony or not, but Gauri and Richa firmly put an end to that debate by asserting that Richa's mother had the first right to be part of her daughter's happiness. Yet again, Omkara was reminded how the social situation was still stagnant in the small towns of the country. 

Richa rubbed off some haldi from her cheek onto Gauri's playfully. Gauri gave up trying to avoid her and laughed out loud. It was a reminder of old times, their carefree, innocent days. 

Omkara smiled seeing Gauri joyous, whatever future brought him, them, he always wished her happiness. 

After the ceremony was done, Gauri gathered the leftover haldi, and picked up the plate to place it with the rest of wedding stuff in the store room. As she walked towards the storeroom, Richa called her from behind for something. And she didn't see where she was going, consequently colliding with Omkaraji. The plate fell, and haldi flew from the falling plate, to shower on her and Omkaraji.