Chapter 179

"Richa who is at the door?" asked her mother. 

"Maa, there is this man, he saw the notice.....and wants us to rent out the room to him" said Richa uncertainly. 

Gauri thought this must be some cunning man, thinking to dupe four women living alone, so she got up to deal with him.

"Richa move aside, let me see..." Gauri broke off mid-sentence, as she faced the man looking at her. 

It was Omkaraji. 

Or was it? 

This morning she was hallucinating him and his voice, when there was no one in the temple. And now this. 

"Oh ji, myself, Dilpreet Singh ji, from Punjab" said the man, looking really glad that he landed here at their doorstep.

"I'm sorry I don't know any Dilpreet..." said Gauri uncertainly, playing along with this game, if it was indeed Omkaraji. 

"Oh ji, no problem ji, how would you know me? I am Dilpreet, not Daljit Dosanjh" the man laughed at his own joke.

Admittedly a ver bad one at that. This can't be Omkaraji. This man was grinning like a fool, he swung his arms a lot, cracked really bad jokes and even sounded different. 

"Why are you here?" asked Gauri, enunciating every word.

"Milna apni taqdeer se jinho kho bethe ae haath, Main odaa mol na janiya thi ishq di jo sogaat"  (I want to meet my destiny that these hands have lost, For I didn't realize what a valuable gift of love it was) said the man, sounding strange. 

Gauri didn't understand Punjabi very well, though she had heard the language before courtesy staying with Dadi at the Oberoi mansion. 

"Oh ji, I want to open a business here in Moradabad. Set up my sweet shop, so I thought I was looking for a place stay" said the man. 

Sweet shop? Definitely not Omkaraji, he hates sweets. 

"Thats nice to know, but didn't you read the notice carefully. We are looking for a female tenant. I am sorry we can't offer the room to you" said Gauri, making a move to shut the door. 

"Oh ji, please, please, don't dismiss me so fast. I can pay you double the amount mentioned there" said the man.

"I am sorry, its not about the amount, we can't have a male tenant here" said Gauri. 

Behind her, the other three ladies perked up listening to the man raise the rent amount.

"Oh ji, please, I won't be any trouble. And I know, the people here told me that four ladies live here, and I can be a help to your safety" said the man.

"How? Do you think we need a man to secure us?" asked Gauri testily.

"Oh ji, na ji na, I don't think you need help from any man. You are your own hero. I just meant that I won't come in your way, and keep to my business" said the man, somewhat lamely. 

Gauri considered his words. Why did this remind her of Omkaraji?

"I came here with a lot of faith and hope" said the man, almost pleading. 

Gauri's mother called her inside. 

"Gauri beta, he came here with hope, he looks a little too straight forward, and would be easily cheated by the local crowd here" said her mother.