Chapter 166

"Bade Papa? Papa? You both knew about Annika and Gauri's father, and yet you kept quiet? So that day when they returned from their parents house, you knew who their father was, you knew about their family, and you kept quiet?" asked Shivaay, aghast.

"Why are you surprised Shivaay? This is typical Mr. Oberoi, self-centered and calculative" spat Omkara. "Are you going to tell us why Annika bhaabhi and Gauri's father had to take his family and disappear? What did you do? What did you threaten him with?"

"Om, its not like what you are thinking" said Jahnvi, the pleading apparent in her voice.

"Mom, did you know about this? Is this what was bothering you in office that day?" asked Rudra, who seemed shell-shocked. 

He didn't expect much of his father, but his mother.....no, how could she be wrong? 

"Tej, Shakti, tell me the truth. Now!" ordered Dadi, furious at her sons. 

"Maa, I don't know where to begin. You know how our business was not doing well, and how the Kalyani Mills was a loss making venture. We couldn't find the solution to the problem, because as fas as we knew everything was being carried out fine. Then Harsh, the head of the accounting department, located some fault in the ledger. Thats why we had gone to his house that day, me and Shakti, to discuss this with him. His brother-in-law happened to be in the house that day, that's when he saw us. I think he didn't like us, for some reason, but anyways thats neither here nor there. Some months later, when the Mills went into the further loss, we had a meeting about what to do. We were close to announcing bankruptcy, but Harsh stalled us in that meeting. He said he was close to locating the problem in our business, something about a mole in the business who was siphoning our funds. He told us to give him time till evening that day, and meat him at office. That day we got an anonymous call, both I and Shakti, telling us to meet up in the Mills to know why our mills were going into loss. We thought this might be what Harsh was working on. So we agreed to meet this person, but when we showed up at the meeting point, there was no one. Except the workers, and a few office employees. Dejected, we went back to office, hoping at least Harsh would be there with a clue to what is happening, but he wasn't there either. He left a pile of files on his desk, with his resignation letter, saying that due to some family emergency he would have to leave. We looked over those files, which confirmed that there was indeed an insider who was working against our company, leaking sensitive information to our competitors, and looting from our business. But then the fire broke out and we got no time to pursue those files properly. After the few weeks of the disaster, we tried to find Harsh, since he had information about the leak in the business but he was nowhere to be found. On the other hand, the insurance company was still dilly-dallying about releasing the funds to us, if they found out that our business was making loss and it was due to some insider, that might upset our insurance claim. So we decided to lock up those files, and keep mum. And....we didn't try to get any news of Harsh after that because....." but Tej was interrupted here.

"Because that would have been detrimental to your interests" said Dharesh angrily. "So all the while you knew that Harsh found out something about your company, some secret that might have led him to go int hiding, but you never bothered to find him. Tell me Mr.Oberoi, were you secretly happy that the Kalyani Mills burnt down so that your business could be saved? Did you deliberately set fire to it for this reason?"

"Mamu, thats enough. We don't know what happened all those years ago. This family....has always cared for me, and even Gauri. We'll wait till we know more" said Annika.

"But Annika beta..."argued Dharesh.

"Mamu, please" said Gauri. 

Dharesh couldn't say no to Gauri, because at that moment she looked so much like his dead sister, when she would plead to her brother for something.