Chapter 77

"Then we better start working on a plan" said Gauri with determination. 

For some reason, Omkara didn't feel too welcoming about this idea.

"There is no 'we' in this. One, this is not investigating like Ranveer. Two, you are not part of this. I know that you might think so because you are stuck in this sham marriage with me, but you are not part of this problem. Its got to do with me, my mother, my family" said Omkara

"But you didn't say this when I helped you last time, as Chulbul?" argued Gauri.

That was what was bothering him.

"Chulbul was my friend. I didn't feel strange seeking help from him. But now its different. And in any case, you have helped me, my mother, and my sister a lot. I can't take any more of your help." and saying so Omkara got up, took Gauri's plate and left the room, presumably to go to the kitchen.

Gauri didn't understand this hot and cold attitude of his. In the same day he would ask the cook to make her favorite food, make sure she ate because she was tired, and then back off from any further conversation with her. 

Who was he to tell her what she could or could not do? Well, if Omkara wasn't willing to take her help, she knew who would be. Tomorrow she had a half day at work, so she'll go and meet Jahnvi in the afternoon. 

*********************************************

Next morning, Omkara woke up to see that Gauri had already left for work. Well, maybe he was too short with her last night. Maybe his remarks were uncalled for. Since they had no choice but to put up with this farce for a few days, it would be better if he didn't always being up her transgressions, otherwise how were they to have any semblance of peace? And Omkara always believed in live and let live, though unfortunately his family was a little on the whacky side for that to be possible. 

Omkara got dressed and went down for breakfast, and found his grandparents already having paranthas. "Come beta we were waiting for you only" said his Nani, offering him a plate of paranthas. 

"How are things between you and Gauri?" asked his Nana, tentatively, without really looking at him.

Omkara found it surprising that his Nana took active interest in this matter. He had always had a cordial relationship with this Nana, though Rudra's equation was much better. Om knew that his grandfather didn't approve of his art, a little like his father, but never really commented on it to his face. He was a little resentful of his grandfather, for not being there for Jahnvi when she needed him, for reasons of his own; Om felt had he been there maybe Jahnvi would not have spiraled so badly. 

"Things are okay, or in any case, as tolerable as they can be under the circumstances" replied Omkara

"Well,...we thought that maybe there was some argument between the two of you. Since, two days, Gauri leaves early in the morning and returns late at night. It seems like she is avoiding you" said his Nani, apprehesively

"Its not like that. Her workplace, the temple that is, is far from here, and she refuses to take the car, so it takes her a lot of time traveling" explained Omkara

"Oberoi bahu working a measly job in a temple making idol clothes?" asked his Nani, a little condescendingly

"First of all, you both are forgetting that she is not an Oberoi bahu, this marriage has no value. Secondly, she's playing this role for a few days, but once the drama is over, she has to go back to her regular life, so why should she stop working and put her employment in jeopardy? And finally, even if she was an Obeori bahu, she has the freedom to do whatever she wants, wherever she wants, to earn her living " said Omkara, with finality.