Chapter 36

Gauri was feeling conscious as she made her way to Jahnvi's new office, where the launch party of her start-up was being held. The new office was near Juhu, round about the same area where supposedly Jahnvi lived, and her family business operated from. Gauri was unsure whether she should accept Jahnvi's invitation, but the earnestness with which she invited Gauri in the morning, the latter wasn't able to refuse. 

However, that didn't stop Gauri from getting cold feet just when she was about to leave her house. Gauri rarely ever socialized with the rich, upper class zamindars of Bareilly, except during jagraatas in the big temple where she sang and the rich ladies suitably impressed with her voice, gifted her big baskets of fruits and other sweets. If the rich people in her small city of Bareilly made her conscious, then at the party there will big business men from all over the city of Mumbai, how would Gauri even face them? 

Now Gauri Kumari Ssarma didn't lack confidence but she was also practical and knew that she will be meeting people far out of her league. She didn't know whether they all would be like Jahnvi or not, maybe they might humiliate her for apparent rural-ness or lack of English speaking skills. She asked Dandi whether it would be a good idea to go there. Dandi understood her problem. He suggested that she just nip in for a bit, congratulate Jahnvi, and leave in a short time. After all, Jahnvi did graciously invite her, and would be upset if she didn't come, after promising her in the morning. 

Gauri thought all this, as she stood outside the entry gate of the office, which was all lighted up from outside. Gauri reminded herself that she Gauri Kumari Ssarma was not afraid of anything, and thinking so, she steeled herself to go inside. 

Gauri noticed that everyone going inside seemed to have some kind of invitation card. But she Gauri had none. Had Jahnvi forgotten to give her the invitation card? The guard at the entry gate seemed asked her where is her invite. Gauri replied that she had none, but Jahnvi auntyji had herself invited her. The guard gave her a once over, which made Gauri extremely uncomfortable, but then he asked, "Are you Gauri, the girl from the Maatarani temple?" 

Gauri nodded her head eagerly, and the guard guided her inside the venue. Gauri saw Jahnvi dressed like the image of the elite on a magazine she had seen in the newspaper stand near her chawl, a frivolous glossy magazine which she could not afford. Jahnvi turned to her and smiled.

"Oh, thank god, you're here. I was hoping that you come, and don't back out at the last moment. I wanted you to be here, since indirectly you are responsible for this." said Jahnvi, as she gestured to her office. 

"Arey, auntyji, please stop giving me the credit for this, its all you, your confidence and faith in yourself." said Gauri encouragingly. 

"I'm sorry I got you through the shortcut, the press is waiting outside, and I didn't know whether you would be comfortable with being clicked or not. Anyways, this route is quicker." said Jahnvi uncertainly. 

"Of course, auntyji its no issue with me." said Gauri. In any case, her photo, even in a remote newspaper could be dangerous, as Kali Thakur was still looking for her, and she didn't want to make it easier for him. Jahnvi gestured a waiter to come and serve Gauri some juice and snacks while she excused herself to talk to some colleagues. 

Gauri held the food and drink in her hand, and looked around. The building had looked very imposing from outside, but Gauri realized that the actual area wasn't that huge. That was precisely what Gauri felt about Mumbai, that people live in such cramped spaces. The city was large but the population it held was greater than its capacity. For example, this office was probably smaller than the havelis of some of the rich people in her city.