Chapter 70

Gauri reached home late at night. Home. Yes, now this city, this chawl, and Dandi bhaiyaa were her home. Dandi bhaiyaa! Gauri thought that she would never be able to see him again, but fate was kind to her. She ran towards his house the moment she stepped inside the chawl. She didn't notice the people who had just popped out of their homes for some reason, stare at her in disbelief. 

Gauri went inside the house, and saw Dandi bhaiyaa's lying form on the bed, he was breathing deeply, probably asleep. He looked pretty bad from where she stood, all bandaged up. She remembered what Kali had said, that all who were close to her suffered pain, her mother, now her brother. Was she unlucky for them? Should she stay away from Dandi bhaiyaa? 

"Sister..." came a hoarse whisper. 

Gauri saw that Dandi bhaiyaa is awake. He was trying to sit up. She rushed to his side to provide support. 

"I knew that apun ki sister is not so weak, she will fight, and she will win." said Dandi weakly. 

Gauri didn't know when her eyes filled up, or when she started sobbing heavily. The fatigue from the last four days finally caught up with her. She got Dandi bhaiyaa and herself some water. 

"Dandi bhaiyaa, all these medicines?" Gauri asked. 

"Omkaraji hired some nurse to look after me, and she gave me all these expensive medicines. Ugh! They taste so bad, but seems all the care she took is effective. How am I supposed to pay him back for all these?" moaned Dandi.

"You are not the only one" joined in Gauri, thinking of the cost of her mother's operation. 

"Tell me what happened after you were abducted" said Dandi, patting Gauri's shoulder consolingly. 

Between sobs and hiccups, Gauri narrated the entire tale of what transpired in Bareilly; she didn't keep anything back from Dandi bhaiyaa, he was the one person she could talk freely apart from her mother and Richa, the one person who would understand her. 

"Sister, don't think about that Kali anymore now. He got what he deserved, he had that coming. And if you are being searched for by the people of your village, then its better you stay in Mumbai for a few months" Dandi consoled her. 

Gauri nodded her head. 

"Sister, what are you thinking about this whole issue with Omkaraji and his mother? Are you going to help them?" asked Dandi. 

"I don't know, Dandi bhaiyaa. Its not like I don't want to help them, its just that this fake marriage thing is so distasteful. I don't believe in all this, but getting into such a marriage is insulting the institution itself. I am just amazed at how messed up this family is. Their problems and equations sound crazy." confessed Gauri.

"Ah well, rich people are like that. Don't think about all this anymore. You've had a tiring journey, I am fine now, go and rest." said Dandi. Gauri nodded her head. 

As she put her head on the pillow, she thought of all that happened today, in one day, she managed to kill Kali in the morning, visit her mother, sit through the operation, come back to Mumbai, listen to Omkaraji's story, receive a fake marriage proposal, and return home.

It was almost midnight now. Gauri was famished but the one thing that gave her some relief was that now she won't have to worry about being abducted by Kali anymore, that was one worry off her mind. Dreamless sleep claimed her instantly.

***************************************************

Omkara had just warded off his grandmother from his room, refusing to have breakfast with them, or anything at all. He felt bad for being short with her, but it seemed like all three of them, his mother, and grandparents, were on some sort of agenda to make him agree for this fake marriage. His grandfather, who never really interacted with him, since Omkara first expressed his desire to be an artist, gave him a good ten minute-long advice on how it would be in his best interests, at the moment, to agree for this fake marriage, and specifically with Gauri.