Chapter 12

Omkara boarded the train to Delhi. He was honestly glad to be free of this place. This place had only added to his confusion and dilemma, and not to mention the trauma of seeing another woman burn herself to death due to a man's base instincts. His train of thoughts was broken by a phone call. He saw the doctor's name flashing. The doctor from the hospital in Bareilly called him, was the Thakurain alright? 

"Is this Mr. Oberoi?" the doctor asked hesitantly.

"Yes, its me, Omkara Oberoi speaking. Has anything urgent happened that you are calling me doctor?" Omkara asked anxiously.

"Sir, the Thakurain...she passed away this morning. We couldn't save her." replied the doctor apologetically. 

Omkara felt like the train floor was slipping from under his feet. He almost dropped the phone in shock, but held on as the doctor continued after a pause.

"Sir, before dying the Thakurain gave a dying declaration to me, naming her husband, and his decision to abandon her in favor of his new, future wife as the reason for her suicide. I recorded it and gave my evidence to the police. Just called to let you know. I'm sorry." said the doctor. After a pause, he added, "Don't blame yourself, sir, you tried your best to save her life, so did we. We doctors have to see many patients accept defeat at the hands of death, but we can only try, the rest is in God's hands. Don't blame yourself, sir. Goodbye." said the doctor sadly and disconnected the call.

Omkara cut the call and pocketed his phone in a daze. The Thakurain had actually died. Despite Omkara's attempt to save her, she couldn't fight it and passed away. The doctor said not to blame himself. Easier said than done. Omkara knew it was not his fault, neither was it his responsibility, still he had failed to save a life. It wasn't his fault. It was the fault of that evil man, Kali Thakur. And maybe it was the fault of that girl too, she agreed to marry a man double her age, who was already married. Maybe she was guilty too, or was she?

Omkara didn't see where he was going, and collided with a women. Looking down he saw the same girl. For a moment he wondered whether he was hallucinating. But he realized that he was actually looking at the girl, she was no apparition. 

What was she doing here on the train? She seemed to be in a hurry, and kept glancing behind her. Was she escaping from someone? Was she escaping from Kali? But why now? And why not ask him for help? He was there in the morning, in the corridor. She could've sent a sig of distress and he would have come to her aid. But she didn't say a word. And now she was here on this train....why escape like this? Then Omkara saw the expensive jewelry she was wearing. All those gems and gold sparkling. Maybe she was after Kali Thakur's money, after all.

"So you ran from your wedding?" Omkara asked mockingly

The girl looked back at him in a quizzical expression. 

"You danced at the wedding, you agreed to sit at the mandap, you did everything...only for this? These jewels and money? I didn't know ruining someone's home was so cheap these days." Omkara said with disgust.

"Ek jhaap mein deewaar pe sat jaaibe!" the girl said with force, but not loudly. "Without knowing anyone, without understanding anyone, how can you form opinions about them? What have I done to warrant these accusations?" the girl continued angrily. 

"What have you done? You have just caused a murder. I repeat, a murder. Your never intended to marry Kali Thakur, you may have agreed to his proposal only for money, but your thoughtless, selfish action resulted in the Thakurain committing suicide, she died. Kali Thakur is to blame, and so are you!" Omkara said with disgust.