Chapter 37

Gauri had barely changed into Chulbul's attire when she heard a horn plonking outside her chawl compound. She thought she was going to meet Omkara at their usual meeting place in Marine Drive and then travel to Panchgani. But it looked like he had arrived here. 

Omkara's car was too huge to pass through the alleys, without causing the thela waalas (push-cart sellers) selling various stuff, considerable discomfort. So, Omkara parked his car outside the main compound, and made his way to Dandi's house. 

"Dandi bhaiyaa, aapne iss chirote ko hamaare ghar ka pata kyun diya? (Dandi bhaiyaa why did you give this chirota our house address?)" asked Gauri, a little annoyed and also anxious, since she was lying about her identity to Om.

"Arey, how was I to know that he would arrive here, at the chawl? He had my number and told me to tell you to get ready by 8 in the morning. When he asked the address here, I thought he would send some driver to pick you up. I didn't imagine he would come here himself to pick you up." said Dandi. 

Gauri sighed, exhausted with this silly, rich businessman. Thank God, he had the sense to park his car outside the compound, otherwise it would have rammed into a couple of thelas for sure. 

Gauri opened the door before Omkara could knock. 

"Welcome. Sit down on the cot, I'm not fully ready yet." said Gauri, and went inside her room. 

"So much for a warm welcome." said Omkara in an undertone.

"Welcome to our humble abode." said Dandi loftily, and then laughed at his own joke. "Sorry, Chulbul is a little rattled today morning. Have some water." said Dandi, as he served Omkara water. "Would you like some tea? Chulbul makes excellent tea." 

Now Omkara did not want to delay the trip, but he also unexpectedly felt like annoying a rattled Chulbul further. "Sure, Dandi, I would love to have Chulbul's excellent tea." said Omkara, in a mocking, carrying voice.

Gauri could hear the conversation, and she knew Omkara was doing it deliberately to annoy her. So, she said, "Of course, Omkaraji." 

Gauri guessed that Omkara didn't like sweet food much, as he had refused to have kulfi with them, when they had pav bhaaji at Chowpaati. So, she intentionally mixed two entire sweet, glucose biscuits in Omkara's tea. She served the tea, and then excused herself to get her bag, to leave for Panchgani. 

When she came back to the outer room, she expected Omkara to spit the tea out, but instead he seemed to be relishing it. "What did you add in this Chulbul? It tastes really nice." said Omkara.

Gauri was dumbfounded, but she didn't say anything. Once Omkara finished he said, "Chalo, lets go Chulbul. Panchgani is five hours by car, so be prepared for a long ride." 

Chulbul nodded his head, and followed Omkara out, after saying bye to Dandi bhaiyaa. Dandi bhaiyaa hoped everything went well on the trip, and they found out what they were looking for.

"So, you came yourself to the chawl, to pick me up?" said Gauri conversationally.

"No, this is Omkara's duplicate, and the real Omkara is locked up in a coffin somewhere." replied Omkara sarcastically. 

Chulbul looked abashed, but continued, "What I meant was that Dandi bhaiyaa and I thought that, at the most, you might send a driver with a car to pick me up. We never imagined that you would come yourself, otherwise he wouldn't have given you our address." 

"Why am I not welcome in your home?" asked Omkara

"Its not that. Its just that..you are so rich, your car doesn't even fit the narrow roads here, and yet you came yourself to take me, its just unusual." said Gauri

"Well thats who I am, and what's all this rich nonsense? I don't believe in all this stupidity. We are in the twenty first century, don't talk like a 70's movie villain." said Omkara, a little annoyed.

Gauri wondered. This was the same man who bought off the temple land, depriving so many families of their income and crashed his car deliberately into her shop, out of anger. But here he was talking about equality; it didn't make sense. This man was such a puzzle.

***********************************************

Soumya had planned to sleep in on the weekend. Jahnvi aunty's business launch party last night had ended late. Later Rudy had offered to drop her off, but Soumya refused, instead accepting a chauffeur driven car lift, back to her apartment. She didn't want Rudy to miss out on quality family time, outside the Oberoi mansion. 

She was thinking of what to eat for breakfast when her doorbell rang. Soumya's flatmate had gone to Lonavala for the weekend, so who was at the door at ten am, on a Saturday, no less? (its early for Mumbai's standard). Soumya wondered as she opened the door to see Rudra standing there. 

"I know I'm good looking, but will you move from the door, so that I can come in?" said Rudra.

Soumya stepped aside to let him in, still astonished that Rudy had woken up before mid-day on a weekend. 

"Rudra? What are you doing here?" asked Soumya, confused.

"Bringing you yummy aloo (potato) paranthas for breakfast, of course." said Rudra. 

"But why?" asked Soumya, still standing and staring at his face. 

"Arey, what why? Its Saturday, its off day, so I came to see you." said Rudra

"Rudy, we met just last night." said Soumya, not relenting. "Why did you come here, early morning, on a weekend?" 

"Umm, just like that." said Rudra, not really giving Soumya an answer. Soumya kept staring at him for five minutes before Rudra finally coughed up what's bothering him.

"Soumya, why did you refuse my offer to give you a lift last night?" he asked

"Why, because I wanted you to spend quality time with your family of course." said Soumya, surprised that Rudra had come all the way to ask her this. 

"Oh just that?" asked Rudy.

"Rudra what's wrong with you? That other day, when Bade bhaiyaa accepted Annika didi as his wife officially, you seemed curious about what I was thinking, as you were worried that I was thinking something unpleasant. Today again you are trying to second guess what I'm thinking. Has something happened? Is something bothering you?" asked Soumya concerned. 

"Its just.... I don't know how to phrase it." Rudy said, clearly struggling with his words. Soumya understood his discomfort. She turned on the RJ in her. 

"What about we eat some breakfast first? Don't want the paranthas to turn cold. I have some oatmeal and milk in the kitchen for you. My flatmate lives on healthy and tasteless food, you'll get along really well with her." said Soumya casually.

Rudy's expression cleared, and he said, "I'm sure I will. Do you have some juice in the fridge, as well?"