Chapter 47

Gauri hoped that the play would end soon and they would rush back home. She didn't want to take the risk of meeting him, after all she had good reason to suspect; he could very well come here to seek Chulbul.

"Why are you avoiding me?" came a voice from behind. Gauri sighed, her suspicion confirmed.

"Avoiding? No, I'm not. What gave you that impression?" asked Gauri, her voice sounding fake even to her own ears.

"Maybe the fact that Dandi isn't receiving my calls or answering the message. Has something happened?" asked Omkara suspiciously

"Nothing, you tell me. Did your sister's issue get resolved?" asked Gauri, making sure that none of the other members from her group heard her.

Omkara sighed. "Not yet, but soon. My sister is being rather stubborn, though she is relieved by knowing the truth. Thank you, Chulbul. It would have not been possible without you at all. You are like a godsend, though I don't really believe in God much."

"You don't believe in God? As in, you are a naastik (atheist)?" asked Gauri curiously.

"Not an atheist exactly, but I don't think your God listens to me." said Omkara, with latent dissatisfaction in his voice.

"You don't trust God, that's why God also doesn't feel like helping you out. But God does look out for everyone, you just need to trust, you know. Show faith, and God will show faith in you too." said Gauri wisely

"Chulbul, its late evening, I'm not here to debate religion and faith with you now. I wanted to ask if you, and everyone in your group, would like to come to my home, this weekend? Have a meal with me?" asked Omkara, speaking a little louder, looking at everyone.

Gauri really wanted say no, but everyone else looked delighted to be invited by such a rich man to his home.

Dandi intervened on Gauri's behalf. "Omkaraji, thats extremely kind of you to invite us all, but it would be awkward for us to go to your home, I mean, our social standing is so disparate." he mumbled.

"Nonsense, didn't I eat with you people at the beach that day? Didn't I have tea at your house that other day? You all are coming to my house this weekend, its decided, please don't say no." said Omkara, with such earnestness, that Dandi nodded his head.

"Good I've got to go now, because I left some work in the middle, I'll see you all this weekend then." said Omkara.

"I hope you get rid of that Ranveer soon." Gauri almost whispered back to Omkara, so that others couldn't hear her. Omkara nodded sadly.

As he left, Gauri wondered whether this was a good idea. She had already decided she would break all contact once her task is done, but it seemed that Omkara wouldn't give up so easily. The situation looked bad, she didn't want to grow closer to Omkara, because the day he found out the truth he would feel betrayed again.

********************************

Tej couldn't sleep, it was becoming a pattern now with him. He checked the clock on his bedside table. It showed the time as ten-thirty pm. He supposed it was too early to sleep anyways. Nowadays, he didn't feel like working, one was of course because his mind was occupied with his personal problems, and the second was because there was an undercurrent of hostility towards him in the office. Ever since, Jahnvi had attempted suicide, everyone viewed him with censure and disapproval. Tej didn't care about people's censure before, but this time it affected him, badly. Maybe because this time, he felt he deserved it, and he hated himself for what he had forced Jahnvi to do, and how he pushed away his family from him. Even at home, no one bothered with him, beyond perfunctory remarks concerning business or Priyanka's wedding.