Chapter 161

"So, have you and Bade bhaiyaa made up?" asked Gauri.

They were sitting in Gauri's room. There was still time for breakfast. 

Annika wasn't usually an early riser, but she got up early today to talk to Shivaay, but he got up even earlier than usual, to avoid her. Or it so it seemed to Annika.

"No" sighed Annika. "He's....sulking? That I didn't tell him about our uncle, the day we met him. Also, he still defensive about Mamu said, he didn't think it was in good taste."

"Well, it wasn't Jiji, and wasn't meant to be. We were hoping for a reaction from Tej uncleji and Shakti uncleji, and we got some clue" said Gauri.

"Chutki, I don't know. I spoke to Chanda also the other day, before I decided to go ahead with investigating our pasts, knowing what it could bring up. She was convinced that Shivaay won't give me up, won't side against me, but I don't know...." said Annika in despair.

"Why would Bade bhaiyaa side against you? You and I, are in no way responsible for what happened twenty years ago. If this family is, you know, involved, then how is it our fault?" whispered Gauri.

"Its not about our fault, Gauri. I don't even know how Shivaay will react when he finds the truth, he will feel so betrayed, so broken, but he'll also remember how protective he is of his family, and protect the truth, even if they are responsible for the fire" said Annika "Even if they are responsible for what happened to our father, and us, he will choose them over me." 

Annika held her face in her hands, trying hard not to cry. 

Gauri held her shoulders, trying to console her. 

"Jiji, no. You have done so much for this family, for Shivaay bhaiyaa. You even lied to protect him from what you thought was Chhoti Maaji's plan about his fake illegitimacy. You were unconscious, but Bade bhaiyaa was unhinged when you met with that accident. After all that, how can you think that Bade bhaiyaa will not choose you?" said Gauri. 

"But Chutki, they are his family, and for Shivaay, nothing is above his family" said Annika, her voice breaking.

"You are his family too. And it doesn't necessarily have to be a you versus them. They could well be innocent. All that happened twenty five years ago.....its all so murky. In any case, somebody told me that life is made up of so many variables that we don't know which of our actions, will have what reactions" said Gauri.

"Who's this somebody?" asked Annika.

"Omkaraji" said Gauri trying to sound casual.

"Typical. Only Om would come up with something that only he can understand" said Annika, smiling slightly.

"No, no, its not like that. It made a lot of sense when he was telling me this yesterday. But I guess, I applied it to the wrong context" said Gauri frowning. 

Annika laughed, unexpectedly, looking at her expression. 

"Well, at least you are looking better now, sad doesn't suit you, or anyone" said Gauri, smiling as well.

"Chutki, tell me honestly, what is going on between you and Omkara?" asked Annika seriously. 

"Its more a matter of whether its going somewhere or not. I can't speak for him, Jiji, but I do feel for him, and I think that isn't good for me; its made me vulnerable" said Gauri. 

"Everyone is vulnerable in love. But why do you think its not good for you?" asked Annika.

"Jiji, you know Omkaraji for a much longer time. He....was in a live-in relationship with some Riddhima before, wasn't he?" said Gauri, her worry, though unsaid, was apparent in her question.