Chapter 82

Svetlana was sipping her mid-morning green tea. Its strange even in times like these, when she was walking on a tight rope, she didn't give up her routine habits. She remembered how she despised the silly girls in her school and college. They would spent their time prettying themselves up for boys, invest emotionally in a relationship, and then cry buckets when the relationship ended. Svetlana, spent her time in studying, learning the art of business, and also studying human beings, knowing when to push which button, how to subtly blackmail people, manipulate them, to do her bidding. Thats how she had developed a net of pawns in her scheme to defeat the Oberois, if one scheme failed then another was ready to take its place. 

Svetlana doubted she had felt any intense emotion in the last decade or so, apart from the desire to destroy the Oberois. Perhaps a certain tenderness for her younger sister, Tia, and affection for her mother. But beyond that...no, nothing. But Svetlana never regretted it. Her mind was focused on her desire for revenge, and sadistic pleasure from watching the Oberois suffer. That reminded her, one of the moles she planted in Jahnvi's office should be reporting back soon today. 

Her phone rang. What a timing!

"Tell me" said Svetlana

"Ma'am, they are worried, very worried, but I don't know whether this is useful for us or not" said the caller on the other end, uncertainly.

"Its not in your job description to decide what is useful and what is not. Let me be the judge of that. Tell me what has got Jahnvi worried" asked Svetlana. Anything that got Jahnvi worried can only be a good thing for Svetlana.

"That girl, who the elder son married, she came to Jahnvi' ma'am's office yesterday. Tej sir was also there. The girl looked really upset and seemed like pleading with Jahnvi madam. I sneaked around their office a bit, but they saw me and thought it was suspicious and shooed me away. From what I caught of the conversation, the girl didn't show it in front of the government officers, but she is scared. Scared of the establishment and police, I expect. From her tone, it seemed that people from her village do not mess with the law or something" explained the caller.

And this fool thought this was not important? "Well done. Its not much, but I'll make some use of it. Keep spying on them" said Svetlana and disconnected the call. 

Ah! Now she's got Jahnvi and Tej trapped where she wanted them. Svetlana always knew there was something fishy about this wedding. 

Most probably, they had paid this village idiot to act as that fool, Omkara's wife, and of course, being from the village that chit notched up the drama. Good that these small towners are afraid of the law. Svetlana would use this fear to turn this gullible girl against them. And then how will Omkara escape her clutches? 

Svetlana smiled, her usual sadistic, predatory smile.

*********************************

Gauri had been avoiding Omkaraji the whole day. She left early in the morning, so as to not have breakfast with him. Feigned a fever, to not have dinner with the family. 

Its not just that she was avoiding Omkaraji because she didn't want a repeat of the awkwardness at dinner yesterday night. Gauri didn't want to grow close to his family anymore; already she had developed affection for Nani, who seemed to dote on her, and Nana, who valued her intelligence, even though she was barely educated. Gauri wasn't used to kindness from strangers, considering her own village, her own people had forsaken her. But ever since fate had sent Omkaraji in her life, she only received compassion from strangers. Omkaraji, Dandi bhaiyaa, Jahnvi auntyji, Nani, Nana, even other people she met through Jahnvi auntyji and Omkaraji; Soumya, Annika, Rudy, Bade bhaiyaa, they were all genuinely nice to her.