Chapter 72

Omkara stopped his car as they reached the apartments. "Wait a minute." he said, as Gauri moved to open the door.

"We don't believe in this....marriage. Its all planned by my mother. But my grandmother is determined to make it seem like a real marriage, she....seems to have taken a liking to you, which I feel it is fueled for some reason by my grandfather, but I can't fathom why. They might try to make this look like a real marriage to them, but let me tell you again that it doesn't mean anything to me." said Omkara, sternly. "We....might have to pretend that everything is fine, for my grandmother though, because she is behaving strangely, and I don't want to upset her."

"What are you implying?" said Gauri, trying to figure out, what the man was trying to say.

"You'll see for yourself. Lets go." said Omkara, giving up on explaining.

Gauri got down and followed Omkara to his house, up the lift. 

He rang the bell, and looked extremely annoyed. 

"We were waiting for you." said Omkara's Nani, looking extremely pleased, and taking her aarti plate, from a servant's hand as she started doing their aarti together. 

Gauri looked up at Om, puzzled. He said to his Nani, "Is this all really necessary? We have to pretend for Svetlana, not for each other." 

"You kids don't understand anything. Marriage is not a joke to be entered in lightly. Your grandfather tells me that this is all a contract, which is in effect only for six months after which you separate. Well, when you separate, you separate, we'll see about that. But now you are married, and you both will behave like that." she said sweetly, but it was an order all the same. 

Omkara didn't know what he was more annoyed by: his grandmother's sudden dictates, or Gauri's questioning looks. 

The aarti was done, and Dadi told them to enter. She told a servant to take Gauri's suitcase upstairs, and keep it in Omkara's room.

"No." said Omkara "She will not stay in my room. She has agreed to the contract, not to the marriage. None of us signed up for this. Nani, there are two other guest rooms in this house, let Gauri stay in one of those." 

"Stop throwing tantrums boy. Guest rooms are for guests, and Gauri is your legally wedded wife now. Is this how you are going to play this farce for Svetlana, when you are not able to pretend in front of your grandparents even? Svetlana is a cunning janaani (woman). To fool her, you must be good, and to be good, you must believe in it yourself. And I don't understand this sudden disenchantment with Gauri? Just last week you were obsessed with her, talking about her trinkets..." Nani wanted to say more, but Omkara cut her off. He didn't want Gauri to know that he had been a little taken with the Jagraata girl. 

"Okay, okay fine! We'll pretend to be together like.....we are married." said Omkara, and went up to his room, all angry. 

"Don't worry Gauri. He is actually a very mild-mannered, sensitive boy. Its just ever since Jahnvi's...you know, suicide attempt, he has been on the edge all the time." Nani sighed. "I hope we can get that old, sweet, grandson of ours back" she lamented. 

Gauri felt bad for this family, however, she felt worse for herself and the latest predicament she had landed herself in. 

******************************************

Gauri didn't know whether she could unpack her clothes in his room or not. She didn't know whether she could use this room like her own or not. She didn't know anything in reality and felt like she was on shaky ground. Which she was.