Chapter 45

"Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh!" 

Omkara's scream echoed against the calm waves of the sea, his turmoil a contrast to the serene waters. 

For years, months, days, the niggling guilt, the burden of that one accident had tormented Omkara in his nightmares. Coupled with the discord between his parents and the rivalry between his dad and aunt, all that together had often pushed him to throw away his sculptures and watch them break into pieces. Omkara's pain always went inwards, he didn't want to hurt others so he took drugs to numb the pain, he destroyed his art to let out his anger, and finally he gave up his art to save his mother, and his brothers to satisfy his aunt. 

Omkara pulled at his half-tied hair. He thought of all the agony that he and Prinku had gone through because of the accident. Prinku was already of a nervous disposition, but after the attack she was prone to anxiety attacks, she would have nervous breakdowns, not be able to face crowds or press or most social gatherings, she often stammered under pressure. 

He thought of the drug relapse he faced last year because he could not bear the guilt of that accident, of ruining two lives. He used to hallucinate that kid, see him everywhere, imagine he heard his cries at night in the empty mansion. To think that all had been a lie, all that was a farce. That he and Prinku were played for fools so magnificently. 

Omkara wanted to scream again. But instead he picked up tiny rocks to throw them in the sea. He kept on doing that until all his anger went out of them, until it all drained out of his body. Once the anger and tumult left him, he fell to his knees on the rocks, a broken man. 

His soul was so tortured, all he wanted was peace. He didn't want to fight and struggle any longer. He also wanted to be happy, completely happy. Today a great weight had left his shoulders, he had been freed from the guilt of something at least. But there was still so much left to worry about: his mother, Mr. Oberoi's ambitions, the dangers that always seemed to plague his family like Gayatri, Tia, Svetlana.....

Omkara just wanted some peace, he just wanted to be free of this pain, to surrender to....something, and lose himself in something else. Quiet suddenly, he was reminded of that girl's face, the girl who bowed to God with such devotion as if at that moment no one and nothing existed but herself and her faith. Her face was so peaceful, so free of all worry....But of course, that was an illusion. She was not devoid of wants and desires. She had wanted the riches of being a Thakurain, she ran away from the wedding covered from head to toe in those jewels, the entire village accused her of being a home-breaker. She was a farce, or was she? What was real, what was false? Omkara will never find out. 

Omkara got up and dusted his clothes. He should focus on the next course of action. He had the proof, thanks to Chulbul and his brilliant plan, he must thank the kid properly. Now, he will tell Priyanka about it and free her from the guilt and blackmail too. 

But maybe not really now, it was late at night. He should go home, his Nani must be worrying, he had sent no news of him staying back at office for work. Prinku would be asleep anyways. He'll call her tomorrow. 

Omkara regained his calm composure and went back to his car. 

*********************************

Soumya was tired. She was having to do double work in college, first for herself, then for Rudy. She didn't mind it though, as long as it helped him. He and Chubby seemed to be getting better. Today she finally got some time, to do some research on which University would suit her best. She would need to fill out and send her forms by the end of this month, so being careful about what she wants was important. 

Her phone beeped, it was a text from Rehan. Soumya sighed.

Not that she was upset with him or anything, but his constant whatsapp messages were annoying her. She understood that to some extent it was because she hadn't replied to his first text in the morning, but she wasn't in a mood to speak with him yet. Tonight she was reserving for her future planning and she didn't want to be disturbed. 

Her phone beeped again, as she took a sip of her coke. Who was it now? 

It was a Whatsapp message from Rudy asking how was her university research going. Soumya was so surprised that she actually got up and looked around her flat to see if Rudra had sneaked in somehow. Nothing, just her flatmate in the other room listening to music. 

Soumya came back and replied to the text message.

How did you know?

Your RJ show isn't tonight, you have already finished all the term-end assignments, you spent a lot of time revising with me anyways, and you won't read a novel when the form submission date is so close.

Soumya was slightly creeped out that he knew all this about her so well, but then they had stayed together in the Oberoi mansion over six months, people are bound to know all these things about each other. 

Yes, you are right. Anyways, what's up with you? she texted back.

Nothing. The usual, having my protein shake after my late evening workout, and starting on the assignments now. Will skype with Chubby in a while since we both have the same subjects, so we thought we'll partner off and finish it sooner, replied Rudy

Cool replied Soumya

Chalo I can guess that you're preoccupied with your dreams of studying under villaiti (foreign) professors, so I'll leave you to it. Just kidding, have fun doing your research. Good Night. Rudy texted back

Soumya smiled and texted him back good night. 

She got back to her researching, and saw her phone still flashing Rehan's name. Irritated she switched off her phone. 

In the back of her mind, Soumya idly pondered that why did she reply to Rudy but not Rehan? Whats wrong with her these days? 

*********************************

Gauri told Dandi bhaiyaa that her favor to Omkaraji was done. So, now she was free of any obligation to him.

Dandi asked, "But you should be happy? You look almost upset?" 

"I was wondering can be a debt of life be ever returned? It is a huge debt, and I seem to have compounded the mistake by lying to him about my identity." said Gauri miserably

"Don't worry Sister, just two more shows this week, then you won't need to go to that side of the city at all. The chances of him driving to this part, seem slim. He doesn't have your number, so he can't reach you, and if he calls me, I'll make up some excuse for you, not seeing him." Dandi consoled Gauri

She nodded her head at the plan, but internally she felt that it was not so much the risk of her truth being revealed, rather there was something else eating at her. She didn't want to think what.