Chapter 135

Omkara and Gauri went towards the crowd that had formed in the entrance of the fest. 

They saw Maithili Dadi's two sons trying to negotiate with Raghav and his cronies. The fact that they were almost close to pleading with a boy who was their son's age, infuriated Omkara. He strode forward to listen to what was going on.

"But...but we paid the money...before the others even....why do you want more now?" asked the agitated elder son of Maithili Dadi.

"If you can organize a fest on such a scale you can cough up extra money too. I don't believe this nonsense excuse that this is from the money you keep separate for religious duties" snorted Raghav.

"Even if you don't believe it, we have already spent the money from that savings, so how can we pay you? Unless we sell the sugar from the mills in the market, which isn't until some weeks later, how do you expect us to pay up nearly ten lakhs out of the blue?" replied the elder son of Dadi.

"I don't care how do you it, I just..." but Raghav was cut off by Omkara.

"Will leave from here in peace, without creating any more drama" said Om softly, but with such authority that everyone quietened down. 

Raghav told his cronies to stop creating a ruckus and threatening the vendors to shut their stalls. 

"Ah! I was waiting for you only, oh and look, there is your wife" said Raghav, grinning.

Gauri glared at him. "So, you are doing all this, harassing Maithili Dadi and her family, because we humiliated you that day?" she asked.

"If you put it that way. You insulted me, and now if your hosts don't pay up, then I'm going to disrupt this fest right now, embarrassing them" said Raghav. 

"Firstly, the mill owners here aren't supposed to pay you anything. Its your father's job, as a legislator, to work for the people. What you are doing is called extortion. Secondly, even if they agreed to your barely disguised thieving, you can't extort from this family, more than the other mill owners just because your ego was hurt that day" said Omkara. 

Gauri saw the crowd listening with pin-drop silence, and could imagine the embarrassment for Maithili Dadi's family if this scene continued.

"Psst...Omkaraji" Gauri whispered in his ear, standing on her tiptoes "Its just ten lakhs, you can sign a cheque for that right now, and end this drama." 

Before Omkara could respond, Maithili Dadi had arrived there and firmly refused to take a paisa (coin) from her guests. 

Gauri was about to request her, when Omkara said, "Gauri, you of all people know that we should never bow down to bullies." 

Gauri knew that he was right, but she also felt that the situation was going out of hand. 

"Enough whispering you two. Bullies, huh? We are not bullies, we are merely asking for our little share in the returns which the mill owners earn because of us. But if you think we are bullies, the let me show some generosity to change your mind" said Raghav in a slimy tone. 

Omkara scoffed while Gauri rolled her eyes. 

"Since all this is indirectly happening because of you, I have an offer. My boys came here to enforce our law, but since you said we are actually the law breakers, I'll retreat. On one condition. You defeat one of my boys, and I'll leave this instant" said Raghav.

"I am not here to play your games" said Omkara, giving Raghav a condescending glance.

"Oh c'mon, you beat me up that day, won't I get that chance?" said Raghav.