Chapter 152

"Jiji, are you sure about this? I mean, we don't have to..." Gauri left off the sentence, unfinished, not knowing what to say.

They were sitting in Gauri's room, the folder in their hands, looking at the photographs, the evidence of their childhood. 

"Don't have to what, Chutki?" asked Annika, narrowing her eyes.

"Don't have to find out everything about the past, Jiji. The only mystery left is why or how our father died.....or separated from us. Thats it, we don't need to find out what he saw or heard or witnessed, we don't to know" said Gauri. 

"You are saying this Gauri? You are always inquisitive about everything else, and in this one scenario, you don't want to pursue the matter?" asked Annika. 

"Jiji, try and understand. Mamaji (maternal uncle) didn't mix his words. Whatever we unearth now, we cannot go back from that, what will we do if its something unsavory, if its something not to our liking, if its something we'd rather not know?" said Gauri, in a pleading voice.

"I have to know, Chutki, I have to know. My heart tells me that our family is not how Mamaji perceived it, it must be a misconception. But I need to know the truth. Why was our father hunted like that? Why did we have to move from place to place? We suffered so much, Chutki, at least, we should know what or who caused it" said Annika in a determined voice. 

Gauri gave up and decided to not bring up this matter again. 

After all, Annika Jiji was right, it was only Gauri's intuition that something ugly will rear its head, and her consequent selfishness not to ruin her relationship with this family, that was stopping her from wholeheartedly supporting her sister. 

Gauri went to work, while Annika decided to dig some information on what happened twenty-five years ago.

********************************

"Annika, what have you been up to the whole weekend? Ever since the Roka you seem preoccupied and disturbed? Even yesterday night you seemed wtroubled, has something happened?" asked Shivaay, as Annika entered their room.

"Nothing Shivaay....actually, no, I was thinking about that memorial service" said Annika, trying to sound casual. 

"Memorial service?" asked Shivaay.

"Memorial service for the victims of the Kalyani mill disaster" reminded Annika. "You know, I was thinking that we almost forgot about it, in all the hustle bustle of the finding about my and Gauri's parents, and then the Roka and everything."

"Oh my god, Annika, were you worried about that the whole time? I can't believe it" said Shivaay, surprised.

"No, no Shivaay I wasn't worried about that. Its just a thought that came to my mind today" said Annika, lamely.

"Annika, the service is going to be next week, most probably. Actually, thanks for reminding me about that. I better add that to my schedule today, have to work out the finer details. And though you might say that you are not upset, I know that you are, and what's more I can guess why. Don't worry I have a surprise that will cheer you up. You will love it" said Shivaay.

Annika was surprised; what was Shivaay talking about? 

He didn't sound like he was talking about what she and Gauri found out in the weekend. Then what did he think she was upset about? Shivaay was always like this, always on his own trip and dancing to his own tune, thought Annika.