Chapter 148

The day before the Roka went in the preparations. Everybody was occupied with one chore or the other, barely getting to sit down to a proper meal. 

Annika and Gauri took the whole thing as a challenge and were eager to win, though Dadi had just divided the sides to make things fun. Gauri worked from home on Thursday, and did her private tuition class via skype. 

Annika was about to shout out for her sister for help with something, when her phone beeped. She checked her phone, it was a message from an unknown number. 

'Please, please meet me in the lawn of the mansion tomorrow evening at the Roka. Bring your sister, tell no one. Will explain everything', it read. 

Annika didn't believe her eyes at first, who would send a message like that? Her first instinct was to tell Shivaay about it. But since the message was about Gauri too, she thought to relay it to her sister first.

"Kaa huya Jiji? Aap pareshaan kaahe lag rahi hai?" (What happened Jiji? Why are you looking worried?) asked Gauri, as Annika entered her room.

"Chutki, I got this message, from an unknown number" said Annika, and showed the message to Gauri. 

Gauri read the message, and kept staring at the phone, her eyes unfocused. 

"I think I'll tell Shivaay about it" said Annika. But Gauri stopped her.

"Not yet, Jiji. Whoever it was who wanted to meet you, and me, wanted to meet in private about something. And I think it is most likely related to the mystery about our parents. For reasons of their own, this person did not want to involve the Oberois. I know it looks really suspicious, and strange things have happened in this mansion, but there will be lots of people here tomorrow, and tight security. I don't think we will be in any particular danger" said Gauri.

"But Gauri, I promised Shivaay, after we reconciled our differences which Pinky auntyji had created, that we would never hide anything from each other" insisted Annika.

"And I'm not asking you to hide anything, Jiji. I'm just saying that lets wait. Lets meet this informant or whoever he is first, and then tell Bade bhaiyaa whatever he or she tells us. Who knows if we don't heed his or her instructions he or she might scamper and not tell us what he or she knows" Gauri tried to convince Annika. 

"Okay, but what about Om?" asked Annika suddenly.

"What about him, Jiji? I don't owe him anything" said Gauri, too erectly for Annika to not to notice that something was wrong. 

"Maybe not about this matter, and maybe not about anything related to our birth. But don't say you don't owe him anything. I know that yesterday, you, along with Tej uncle, Jahnvi aunty, Rudra and Om, went somewhere. I won't ask you where or why, but clearly if they wanted you to accompany them, then they think of you as their own. Don't blow this away, Gauri. Jahnvi aunty already likes you so much, you won't have to face any issue like I faced with Pinky aunty" said Annika.

"Jiji, your biggest strength is Bade bhaiyaa, others are all secondary. My case is different, very different. Peripheral relationships are important, but when there is no core, then what's the point of it all? Anyways, we are diverting from the topic. Jiji, you better reply that you are okay with the person's request to meet up" said Gauri.

Annika nodded, and texted back an okay.

****************************

Finally the day had arrived. 

Though Soumya was getting ready for only her engagement, it felt much bigger. Like she was entering a totally new dimension in her life. 

Her mother, Annika and Gauri were helping her to get ready. Annika and Gauri excused themselves to get check on some last minute arrangements.