Chapter 87

Gauri was feeling extremely irritable now, effectively tied to her bed for four days now. It was Wednesday today and she hoped and prayed that the doctor would announce her perfectly fine to the family, so that she could leave her prison.

She was glad that Jahnvi had spoken to her boss, Majmudaarji, that Gauri has met with an accident and won't be able to come to work for a week. What Gauri didn't know, was that Jahnvi had bought some stuff from his shop for a good measure, so he was purring like a cat when Gauri called him, and had no issue with her leave of absence.

Gauri whiled away her time reading her text books or being fussed over by Nani. Occasionally Nana came to her room to teach her commercial Mathematics, which she greatly appreciated. Gauri was going to miss Omkaraji's grandparents, once she left the house. Omkaraji himself, though, was oddly formal over the last two days. He would take care of her health needs, make sure she was comfortable, but otherwise not interact with her much. Gauri decided that it was time to leave before Omkaraji reminded her that there was no need to stay here anymore, since the looming threat of Sultana was over.

Just as she was thinking all this, he entered with the doctor. It was time for Gauri's checkup. After doing some tests meticulously and going over his results, he pronounced Gauri free to move about. But he advised her not to jump and dance around, at least for another day, as he saw Gauri ready to do just the same.

"You look happy" commented Omkara

"No, I should mourn my good health and recovery" said Gauri, sarcastically, as she rolled her eyes. She got up from her bed and took out her suitcase.

"What are you doing?" asked Omkara surprised.

"Packing my clothes in it, of course. My task here was over when that Sultana was arrested. I've been staying here longer than intended or needed because you and your family have been so kind towards me. But now I am fine, I can go home" said Gauri, her face bent over her suitcase arranging her clothes.

Task. Kind. Over. 

Gauri saw their fake marriage only as a chore, which she had to do. Well, of course, in a sense she was right, but her words made Omkara oddly feel alienated.

Omkara didn't like looking at her getting ready to leave, so he went downstairs. Downstairs a new problem was waiting for him.

A servant knocked the door a few moments after Omkara left, and conveyed Gauri the message that Omkaraji is requesting her to come down if she can. Gauri nodded.

Request? He didn't give any reaction when she said she was leaving and now he was making a formal 'request' for her to come downstairs. Stupid man! But why though? He has been nothing but considerate throughout this entire ordeal. Gauri didn't know why did she feel slightly annoyed at him.

She went downstairs to find Shivaay bhaiyaa sitting in the sofa, and Omkaraji looking extremely guilty, while Nana and Nani looked contrite.

"Imagine my surprise when a certain Dhurindhar sends me an informal notice that they need a sort of final confirmation from the family that we have accepted and we acknowledge Omkara's recent marriage" said Shivaay in a mocking voice.

"Marriage? I asked myself, will my dear brother, who I am closest to in the entire world get married without telling me? No that can't be right. But looks like a random government servant knew more about my brother's life than me, the great Shivaay Singh Oberoi who felt that he was protecting his family, who knew his brother best" said Shivaay, sounding extremely hurt.

"No, Shivaay it's not like that..." started Omkara

"Then what is it like? I sent Khanna to the Marriage Registrar's office, and he checked in the registry. Your marriage was registered almost a fortnight ago. You've been married for weeks, but you didn't feel the need to tell me, or Rudra? Has the physical distance between us become so great, that we grew apart to become strangers?" asked Shivaay, now choking back a sob. He was agitated and looked like he wanted to say more.