Chapter 29

Jahnvi sought Gauri next morning at the temple. Gauri had just entered the premises, when Jahnvi caught up with her. 

"Hello, beta. How are you?" she asked pleasantly.

"I'm good, Auntyji, how are you?" replied Gauri

"I am....not fine, but I'll be better soon. I didn't come here yesterday, because I had some accounts to settle, and then my daughter dropped this bomb of her wish to marry, on us, from out of nowhere." sighed Jahnvi.

"You are not happy with her choice?" asked Gauri, conscious that she might be overstepping her boundaries.

"Honestly, I don't know. I have no opinion on the man she wants to marry. He was just doing his job the last time our family confronted him, and I can't hate him for doing that. But also, he's not of our class. That fact does not bother me much, because I've brought up my daughter well to adjust in lower economic class surroundings, but what worries me is that she doesn't look happy with her own choice." said Jahnvi.

Gauri was a little offended about Jahnvi's reflection on lower economic class. "Vaise chhote gharon mein bhi insaan hi rehte hain." (In smaller/lower class houses also people manage to live) commented Gauri.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you." Jahnvi apologized genuinely.  "I am so confused right now. I know I took the right step but its difficult, and I don't know how to proceed further." 

"What exactly are you talking about?" Gauri asked curiously. 

"I did a valuation of my assets in the family business." Jahnvi replied. Looking at Gauri's bemused face, she explained what she meant. Gauri's expression cleared up, once she understood what Jahnvi meant.

"Well I took the first step to re-establishing myself, but now I don't know how or what exactly to do." sighed Jahnvi,

"Its simple, isn't it? You have got the money, and now you need the resources to apply it on. What is it, that newsreaders scream about on tv, er, yes, eenvestmant (*investment*)" said Gauri, stumbling on the last word a little. 

Jahnvi smiled. "Yes, beta, 'investment'. But I have been out of the business race so long, I dunno whether I'll be able to manage it." Jahnvi said worried. 

"Sher kabhi shikaar karna nahi bhoolta. (A lion never forgets how to hunt) Actually, in this case, a lioness." Gauri chuckled as she said, making Jahnvi laugh too. "Why don't you think of a, a.....what do they call it...a 'Isstart up' (Start-up)?" 

"You mean, a Start Up? But how do you know about this, Gauri?" Jahnvi was curious now. 

"Arey, I and Internet chaachi often spend our free time keeping up with the national news." Gauri said, doing her signature Salman-inspired nose-flick again. 

"Shankarji, look at the time! I'm running late, I'll see you later, Auntyji, namaste." shrieked Gauri looking at the time, and rushing to work.

A germ of an idea was forming in Jahnvi's brain, actually two ideas. 

***********************************************

Soumya was returning from her theoretical economics class to the library. She, Rudy and Chubby had been at their common subjects since yesterday. It had been a task trying to explain the concepts to Rudy and Chubby, but she managed. Actually, they weren't bad at the subjects, especially not Rudy. Its just that they never applied their brains at work before, so much.