Chapter 28

Tej had been avoiding Jahnvi ever since she recovered from the suicide attempt. Now whether it was because he was genuinely disinterested in her welfare, or because he was finally a little ashamed, Jahnvi did not know. Neither did she care. She had been studiously avoiding Tej as well. As they lived in separate bedrooms now, this was easier to do. So, Jahnvi was a little surprised to see Tej coming to her room. The door was open, but Tej still knocked to ask whether he could enter. 

"Wow, to what do I owe this honour?" asked Jahnvi sarcastically.

"How are you Jahnvi?" asked Tej apologetically, looking slightly abashed. 

"I got up from the sick bed more than a week ago, and you realized it now? In any case, however I am, is none of your concern anyways." replied Jahnvi coldly. 

Tej sighed. "If we are done exchanging pleasantries, I came here to talk about something important."

"Of course." Jahnvi remarked, her voice dripping with sarcasm. 

"Jahnvi, what's got into you? First, you send Svetlana out of the mansion. That at least I understand that you are trying to support the contract your son signed to save our sham of a marriage. But today morning, Mr. Daruvaala, head of Oberoi legal team, tells me that you've asked for a valuation of your shares, and you are even planning to liquidate them. You didn't think it important to inform me, but he felt considering that your shares are still part of our joint shares, with me, I should know. What are you up to Jahnvi?" asked Tej suspiciously. 

"Well, you didn't inform me when you started having an affair with Svetlana, so I didn't think it pertinent to inform you either. Anyways, as you know the Oberoi shares are divided into seven parts, one part for Kalyani maa, two parts for you and Shakti, and four parts for our three kids and Shivaay. Pinky and I have joint shares with you and Shakti. I have decided to separate my half of the share from you. Not only as your wife of more than thirty years, but also as one of the earliest partners of Oberoi business, who had an equivalent role in setting up this business, I have right to its fruits too." said Jahnvi, in one breadth. It had taken her a lot of courage to come to this decision after years of emotional abuse at Tej's hands. 

"And what do you propose to do with your half of our joint shares?" asked Tej.

"That is none of your business, Tej. As it is, before my son stepped in, you were going to divorce me. Do you think I would have left without any alimony?" asked Jahnvi. 

"So its all about money, isn't it? It all boils down to this." said Tej, strangely sounding disappointed. But Jahnvi missed his disappointment.

"You should talk. Shivaay gets his calculative attitude from his Bade Papa. When you measure everything, including you eldest son's happiness, in contractual, monetary terms, then you shouldn't be surprised if his mother, seeks to speak to you in the same language. The only language you understand." said Jahnvi.

"Fine. Do what you want. I don't care anymore." Tej gave up and left. 

As soon as he left, Jahnvi shut the door. She sat down on her bed, and saw the tears falling into her palms as she held her face. Picking up the shards of her broken marriage was not as easy as she thought. 

**************************************

Omkara slammed the phone. He noticed his hand was shaking, whether in anger or worry he did not know. Shivaay had just given him a worrying news. Prinku, their little sister, had asked Shivaay's help to marry the boy she wanted. It was not Prinku's wish to get married that had Om worried, it was the man she had chosen. Ranveer.